Help with Setup

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Help with Setup

Postby twitami » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:42 am

Ok, so I downloaded it and got it installed (total Linux n00b here, but I am trying!).

Anyway, when I go to setup to try to create the mame list, I get this Bug Report:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/balki/projects/wahcade/debian/wahcade/usr/share/games/wahcade/win_filter.py", line 233, in on_cboLists_changed
self.load_filter()
File "/home/balki/projects/wahcade/debian/wahcade/usr/share/games/wahcade/win_filter.py", line 249, in load_filter
self.create_initial_filter()
File "/home/balki/projects/wahcade/debian/wahcade/usr/share/games/wahcade/win_filter.py", line 301, in create_initial_filter
self.dlgwait_pulse)
File "/home/balki/projects/wahcade/debian/wahcade/usr/share/games/wahcade/filters.py", line 365, in create_initial_filter
gd = mi.next()
File "/home/balki/projects/wahcade/debian/wahcade/usr/share/games/wahcade/filters.py", line 210, in get_xml_game_item
for event, mame_element in ET.iterparse(xml_filename, events=('start', 'end')):
File "<string>", line 68, in __iter__
SyntaxError: no element found: line 1, column 0

I see the .py extensions all over this...is it a Python thing? I went to download it, and it said on the website that it was included in most Linux dist. And the other Python thing even said on its website that Ubuntu included it. I looked over the Python site, but to be honest installing it was not something I felt I could do with my current knowledge level. And, I am not sure if I even need too. Wahcade looks perfect for the Cab I am making, I would really like to get it to work.

Thanks!
Brian
twitami

Postby balki » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:25 pm

Hi,

I think you might have a dodgy mameinfo.xml file. Have a look at this post:
http://www.anti-particle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=113

Did you generate the xml file using the wahcade setup editor? If so, I may need to fix some more bugs :oops:

Hope this helps,

Andy

PS. Wah!Cade is written in python, but almost every distro these days comes with everything wahcade needs to run.
balki
Site Admin

Postby twitami » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:45 am

I thought I ran the xml file from Wahcade, but I will double check. Pretty sure I did though.
twitami

Postby twitami » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:40 am

Well, i tried a total fresh install, thru a few roms in, and tried again....same errors. I will be the first to admit that i am a n00b with Linux though, so not sure on where to put stuff for sure yet. I put the roms in the default folder that Xmame makes Usrs/shared/games/xmame/roms. I then made sure in Wahcade setup it pointed there. Got to xml part, and hit generate..working thing flashed up for milliseconds, then it was done. Then, when I do anything, I get that error message stuff again.
twitami

Postby balki » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:02 pm

Hi,

It should take a few seconds (at least) to generate an xml file. If you blank out the xml/data filename box in wahcade-setup it will generate one in the ~/.wahcade directory.

Cheers,
Andy
balki
Site Admin

Postby twitami » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:59 am

Ok, I got things working (sort of). My xml list issue was the wrong directories (thoght I had se tthem right, but after looking closely, realized I had't). So now the games are listed, they start ok, but they are a little tiny box in the corner over top of the Front end. How do I make them zoom and fill the screen? The resolution of the front end works correctly (1024x768), but once the game starts, it is in the top left corner and very small.

Also, in the setup of filters, how do I check or uncheck a setting? I see Show Clisted and checked, yet I can't seem to change or uncheck it.

Thanks!
twitami

Postby SeTTleR » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:01 pm

Hi,
Wah!Cade does nothing else then starting the emulator, which is specified in the appropriate *.ini file. So if you want the emulator to run in fullscreen, you have to tell this to the emulator via the command used in the ini file (you can do this in the wahcade-setup-editor as well) or directly in the configuration file of the emulator.
Try running the command <emulatorname> --help in the commandline and look what it tells you. Maybe there is some switch like -fs or --fullscreen. This is what you are looking for.
Maybe if you tell us what emulator you want to use, then we can help you explicitly with this one..
SeTTleR

Postby twitami » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:23 pm

I am using xmame. I am new to Linux, trying to learn more. Just not sure where to find the file for xmame to set this. I set it in Wahcade, but it only made the GUI full screen, not the games.
twitami

Postby ztomiccomputers » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:26 am

change fullscreen to 1 in xmamerc
ztomiccomputers

Return to Wah!Cade