Web!Cade⍺ demonstration

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Web!Cade⍺ demonstration

Postby sairuk » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:57 am

This is a very basic Wah!Cade in a browser. It will automatically convert existing layouts to css and render based on the layout values at runtime. There is a secondary stylesheet loaded which you can use to override all the settings. Eventually you will have the option of opting out of the standard Wah!Cade layouts. Then building a completely standard webbased experience (think maws as a frontend maybe??).

Orignally written in PHP this version was canned since I haven't worked out how to execute apps in the foreground (cross platform). I also wanted to play around with CherryPy, so this experiment moved to python.

1.) Copy your .wahcade directory into the same directory as the code
2.) run wahcade.py
3.) Browse to localhost:8888
4.) Double click a game

As I say its an experiment. Code is available on GitHub, download and try to use it if you like. I may continue to play with this, depending on interest. Recently my interests revolve around web based UI's jquery/css/html more so than the gtk base Wah!Cade/Mah!Cade is running.

Youtube: http://www.mameau.com/webcade%E2%8D%BA-demonstration/
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Re: Web!Cade⍺ demonstration

Postby sairuk » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:38 pm

Posted some follow up information to this project

http://www.mameau.com/webcade-project-information/
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:45 pm

Could this be used to launch a simultaneous LAN oriented launch of a multi-payer game of multiple Mame Cabinets using Mednafen Server?
Zombie

Postby sairuk » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:48 am

Zombie wrote:Could this be used to launch a simultaneous LAN oriented launch of a multi-payer game of multiple Mame Cabinets using Mednafen Server?

Don't know anything about that server but if it has commandline access or an api or sort then it could be used with almost anything. This would be no different.
sairuk

Postby codefenix » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:20 pm

Maybe I'm missing something.

What is the point of this? Who benefits from this? One of the main reasons to use a frontend is to conceal the OS. So what is the gain of operating a frontend within a browser window which exposes the OS? Even if you manage to start your browser in fullscreen mode, you're still exposing various look-and-feel elements, the first of which that comes to mind is the mouse cursor. Browsers also eat up a lot of RAM, or at least Firefox does on Windows 7/8 (which your screenshot shows).

Your response to Zombie's question implies that this doesn't perform any special web-based functions, let alone really anything else beyond what the standard executable does. If it doesn't... then how is this advancing the product?
codefenix

Postby sairuk » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:09 am

codefenix wrote:Maybe I'm missing something.

It is an experiment that and the current status/features are fairly clear in the first post, there is no harm experimenting with new mediums. This is not an attempt to 'advance the product' but it certainly has as much chance to go that way as the current dormant launchpad repository for the main project.

The major advantage I can think of at this point is the support and resource base for a web based approached is ever expanding, but as is the advantage of FOSS if it doesn't suit your needs change it or leave it.

While the memory usage with the current major browsers is of some concern, it still doesn't override the interest in seeing how far it can be taken.
sairuk

Return to Wah!Cade