Everything about SDLMAME

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Everything about SDLMAME

Postby amacieli » Wed May 07, 2008 12:36 am

I'll be doing a series of posts in the coming days on this topic, in this thread.

SDLMAME is the most up-to-date and most frequently-maintained version of MAME for Linux. More information about how it relates to all the other versions of MAME can be found here: http://www.vg-network.com/sdlmame.

There are three places to get the SDLMAME package from:
1. The standard Ubuntu repositories
2. Wallyweek - the website is here: http://wallyweek.altervista.org/
3. Ludomatic - the website is here: http://apt.ludomatic.fr/?hl=en

I find the Ludomatic package is the best one overall, although all three packages have more or less the latest version of MAME (they are all within 0.001 versions of each other at time of writing, so no biggie which one you actually end up choosing).

If you want to go with option #1, go to your Ubuntu terminal, and issue the command
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install sdlmame

If you want to go with option #2, go to the website indicated above, and download the package file to your Desktop (the i386 version - don't get too stressed if you have Ubuntu Hardy installed even though the website says that the package is for Gutsy - it'll all work!). Then, go to your Ubuntu terminal, and issue the following commands:
cd Desktop
sudo dpkg -i sdl*.deb

If you want to go with option #3, the best approach, detailed instructions are on the website indicated already.
amacieli

How the packages are different

Postby amacieli » Wed May 07, 2008 12:40 am

The three SDLMAME packages mentioned in my last post are subtly different. The below shows how they are different.

Ubuntu
======
Package:    sdlmame_0.123-0ubuntu1-i386.deb
Executable: /usr/games/
Mame.ini:   /etc/sdlmame/
Roms etc.: 

Wallyweek
=========
Package:    sdlmame_0.124u3-ww~gutsy1_i386.deb
Executable: /usr/games/
Mame.ini:   /etc/sdlmame/
Roms etc.:

Ludomatic
=========
Package:    /sdlmame_0124-1ubuntu1.3_i386.deb
Executable: /usr/share/sdlmame/
Mame.ini:   /usr/share/sdlmame/  (shortcut also put in /etc/sdlmame/)
Roms etc.:  /usr/share/sdlmame/

The reason I prefer the Ludomatic package is because everything is installed neatly in /usr/share/sdlmame/. I hate it when packages liberally distribute files throughout your hard drive, and I hate looking up Linux commands to help me find what I'm looking for. Just my preference.
amacieli

Configuration file for Wahcade

Postby amacieli » Wed May 07, 2008 1:32 am

Check out the sticky post for the configuration .ini file for Wahcade, assuming you installed the Ludomatic version of SDLMAME.
amacieli

How to get rid of the annoying "press OK" messages

Postby amacieli » Wed May 07, 2008 1:36 am

Check out the post "Booting into Wahcade in X?" in this forum. You can replace the SDLMAME executable with one that you compile yourself, after you make some small edits to the MAME source code.

Put the executable (called "mame") in the /usr/share/sdlmame/ folder, and all the configuration files described elsewhere in this thread will work fine.
amacieli

Return to Wah!Cade