control panel viewer / history box

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

control panel viewer / history box

Postby spudgunman » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:49 am

In the ControlPanel Layout Editor ---

request for word wrap on the object labled "History" and it should be retitled to summary or something as its not actually history. However if text is longer then the box it gets truncated. no good.

also could I request that black boarders be put into the text box as a option for layout editing and final display

---another question / feature request, is there any way to make buttons pop up for other emulators, sure there is no controls.xml for NES but could we set something to allow the "pop up" of the controls layout with Button A/B/X/Y/Z etc specified for the user. like a way to make a custom xml file for buttons if the game has no controls data (this would also be handy for MAME) to just list the words "Button 1" etc on the layout so every time you press controls help you get something. if i was in NES i would get the layout with A/B shown (with flexibility for 8 buttons like in NES i have A-turbo on a button and B-Turbo I would like to point out where they are located to the user if they need help) as all this data is too hard to put on bezel cards and look professional.

-- same Idea for history box, if there is no data that some user set data would be the default for each emulator type (generically pulled from a config)

--also in history box any way to add cabinet art etc?
spudgunman

Re: control panel viewer / history box

Postby balki » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:50 pm

spudgunman wrote:In the ControlPanel Layout Editor ---
request for word wrap on the object labled "History" and it should be retitled to summary or something as its not actually history. However if text is longer then the box it gets truncated. no good.

Hmmm - Unfortunately at the moment GTK widget won't allow text to be rotated if word-wrap is enabled; Hopefully a future version of GTK will sort this out. Although don't forget that the Wah!Cade History Viewer is available for viewing this particular info anyway...

And the other stuff I'll put onto the wishlist for the post 1.0 release...

Cheers,
Andy
balki
Site Admin

Postby codefenix » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:17 am

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but this addresses an issue I'm having and I didn't want to start a new post.

Where do things stand with wrapping text in the control panel viewer's History (miscDetails) object? It would be nice if this got resolved. The controls.ini file often includes helpful commentary in this section that gets trimmed off with the text unable to wrap.

I also agree with the OP's suggestion to retitle the object to "MiscDetails".
codefenix

Postby Zombie » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:04 pm

Old thread here, but relevant. I'm trying to know how I can uses the Control Panel viewer for Console emulators button layout when the mameinfo.xml controls.ini files do not account for those.
Zombie

Postby sairuk » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:02 pm

Zombie wrote:Old thread here, but relevant. I'm trying to know how I can uses the Control Panel viewer for Console emulators button layout when the mameinfo.xml controls.ini files do not account for those.

Pretty sure I looked at that at one point but iirc it is currently stored in the ~/.wahcade directory and is not specific by emulator so it couldn't be done without programmatic changes. Would love someone to prove me wrong though.
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:38 pm

I was not suggesting as such. I don't see any reason at all to make programming changes, I was asking for help with a feature I don't accurately know how to use. Let me be a tiny bit more clear.

The way I understand it, is Mame uses an XML file and controls.ini such that when you bring up the control panel, It reads the value based on how it's layed out.

I could just have CodeFenix make a bunch of different wallpapers for the different Console configs, but I'd rather avoid that. I need to know how to define my own WahCade Compliant button Mappings and define them in the layout editor, so that I can have one 'blank' controller wallpaper, and have the layout editor for cpviewer/snes9x-gtk.lay fill in the blank spots.
Zombie

Postby Zombie » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:46 pm

Code: Select all
       <input>
            <port tag=":INPUTS" type="P1_BUTTON1" mask="16" defvalue="16">
                <newseq type="standard">
                    JOYCODE_1_BUTTON8
                </newseq>
            </port>
            <port tag=":INPUTS" type="P1_BUTTON2" mask="32" defvalue="32">
                <newseq type="standard">
                    JOYCODE_1_BUTTON3
                </newseq>
            </port>
        </input>

Mess has this in each of it's platform configs, can MESS read this?
Zombie

Postby sairuk » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:19 pm

Zombie wrote:The way I understand it, is Mame uses an XML file and controls.ini such that when you bring up the control panel, It reads the value based on how it's layed out.

The controls.ini stores the gamename and keymaps which is generated off the mame -lx output
Wah!Cade reads the ini file and matches the selected gamename from the gameslist to one found in the controls.ini

As stated the controls.ini is generated from the mame -lx output, so ideally you could write something to convert any list (including MESS) into a compatible format and append it to the original controls.ini, or create a specific controls.ini per platform.

So say you generated a list and append it to the original one for use with Wah!Cade in its current state. You could not have any roms across any platform with duplicate titles if you wanted to use different control layouts per platform. Wah!Cade would only load one instance.

If you wanted to generate a controls.ini per platform, currently Wah!Cade will not load it. It only loads a 'global' list at startup.

I have added such per platform cpviewer functionality tonight; it is in the preliminary stages but works between platforms, Wah!Cade will not refresh it correctly currently but I am working on it.
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby sairuk » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:17 pm

Commit 105 will support per platform information files, it is experimental ;)

Example:- for an n64.ini setup
Code: Select all
copy ~/.wahcade/cpviewer.ini to ~/.wahcade/ini/n64.cpv
copy ~/.wahcade/histview.inii to ~/.wahcade/ini/n64.his

edit both files to your liking

the existence of a platform specific cpv or his file will override the global inis where applicable.
*reason for the file extension change was so they were ignored by the setup editor and all emulator settings still contained in the single location

also its worth mentioning that when you create a custom controls.ini rom names must be in lowercase or they will not be matched. This is default behaviour, not sure if mamewah had the same restriction.
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:27 am

Testing it.

It seems to work, however the weird "it won't launch certain roms" is a show-stopper.

socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
Error: option: [lock_time] for ini file: [/home/arcade/.wahcade/wahcade.ini] not found

I get alot of these and have no idea what they mean.
Zombie

Return to Wah!Cade