Computer system requirements for SDLmame and WahCade

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Computer system requirements for SDLmame and WahCade

Postby jukingeo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:02 pm

Hello all,

I been to the WahCade main site and thusfar this seems like the best front end to work with SDLMame within Linux. What I would like to do is set up a cabinet based on an older machine. I have seven old machines ranging from a Pentium 166mhz machine to a Pentium 1.0ghz machine. All but two machines support USB. Just about all the machines run on Windows 98 (1st version) with one or two using the Windows SE version. I would like to do a fresh Linux install and put SDLMame with WahCade on a couple of the machines.

What I would like to know is what are the system requirements to run these programs properly under Linux.

I don't intend to run newer style Mame games. Games such as X-Men (the first one) and Smash TV are as about as modern as I would get. Typically I am looking to run the classic 80's games.

I have tried to run the Dos version of Mame, but that does present many problems. For one are the controls. Usually the easiest (and best (for me)) is to use a USB game controller hack. Dos doesn't support USB, and it only supports up to 2 buttons and two joysticks on a older style game port. Clearly this isn't acceptable.

However, I have heard of some lightweight versions of Linux, such as Xubuntu that take up very little hard drive space and are supposed to run fast. I figure that this would be a good way to go with WahCade and SDLMame and have full sound and USB support.

If anyone could give me some in-site on the system requirements for WahCade, that would give me a good idea of what machine I should use.

Thank You,

Geo
jukingeo

Re: Computer system requirements for SDLmame and WahCade

Postby spudgunman » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:17 pm

to address that issue in two sections...

you asked what wahcade needs. wahcade needs nothing to run, its a python script that basically just a big menu. Its requirements are nothing compared to MAME.

as for sdlmame, I am running a 2.6ghz P4 on 533fsb with 1gb ram. now the ram really isnt the issue, however the version of mame is.

for example if your running mame .88 there is much less CPU requirements then for mame .128

I have autoframe skip on my 2.4 and things run ok, i still get audio issues every now and then (including all 1970/1980 games) so the answer what is the best PC?

if you are going to run romset from .110 up the faster the pc the better.
spudgunman

Postby Zombie » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:03 pm

Under Linux, I use XMame For most of my Arcade games, and SDLMame for the games XMame Doesn't support.

I have two Intel Pentium III CPUs running at 1 Ghz a peice. 1.3 GB RAM
I run Mandriva Linux 2008.1 (I've had to patch some problems with SDL. But I am a maintainer for Mandriva.)
Certain games run wonderfully under Mame and Certain ones run horribly. I've built a Mame "Console" that has an adaptor for a Sega Genesis (MegaDrive) Multitap. This means I can connect Four Sega Genesis Controllers to this Box.

You don't want to be doing this under Dos or Windows. Linux Wins here.
Zombie

Postby jukingeo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:55 am

Zombie wrote:Under Linux, I use XMame For most of my Arcade games, and SDLMame for the games XMame Doesn't support.

Is there a significant difference between the two that one runs some games and the other doesn't?
I am mostly interested in running older style games. My main interest is from the late 70's to Mid 80's.

Basically from Space Invaders to Smash TV.

I have two Intel Pentium III CPUs running at 1 Ghz a peice. 1.3 GB RAM
I run Mandriva Linux 2008.1 (I've had to patch some problems with SDL. But I am a maintainer for Mandriva.)
Certain games run wonderfully under Mame and Certain ones run horribly. I've built a Mame "Console" that has an adaptor for a Sega Genesis (MegaDrive) Multitap. This means I can connect Four Sega Genesis Controllers to this Box.

You don't want to be doing this under Dos or Windows. Linux Wins here.

I have three machines that I could use for Mame:

1) Pentium III 1.0ghz with 385mb of ram
2) Pentium 166mhz 64mb of ram
3) AMD K6-2 400mhz 64mb of ram

The faster two I am considering for a Mame project and the slower P166 I probably am going to use to run a jukebox program.

Geo
jukingeo

Postby spudgunman » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:50 am

well as I posted before, its all about the version of mame/roms that you have.

the reason that xmame works better on older systems is its a older verison (.106) where sdlmame is .128

SO as I said before, it all depends on your version for speed. The games you list off undertook about 2 years of development so no one can tell you what you want to know. There are games that will work on a P31ghz and there are those that wont work as you expect. What I might suggest is that you go pull a old copy of the roms and just test it out. Turn on the auto frame skip option and see if the roms you want will work.

If you are asking ... Will PUckMan run.. sure but I havent had a P3 for about 8 years so I havent tried to run it on a P3 for a long time and havent ran .106 on a P3 I can tell you that Puckman will run just fine with .84 and P3

but to ask will 20 years of ROMS work on a P3 isnt really a question that this forum is made for... go to mame official support threads or IRC people that spend a lot more time helping people with old hardware.
spudgunman

Return to Wah!Cade