controls.ini please???

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

controls.ini please???

Postby erin999 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:44 pm

every game closes when is loading. im guessing is because i don't have controls.ini which i couldn't dowload from this website because of some error. give controls.ini please.
erin999

Re: controls.ini please???

Postby shateredsoul » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:14 pm

Yes, I'm having the same problem... can anyone upload there controls.ini for a temporary solve while the website link gets fixed? If it is getting fixed.
shateredsoul

Postby balki » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:34 pm

I've attached the version I have (0.111.5).
Enjoy...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balki
Site Admin

Postby Pinball Wizard » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:50 pm

Thanks so much for this file. But in WahCade .99pre7 it appears broken.
I am the Pinball Wizard.
Pinball Wizard

Postby dirkomatic » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:23 am

I had a similar problem after upgrading. Is it possible you don't have the full path to the Application under "Emulators" in wahcade-setup? For example, before upgrade, mine read "sdlmame"... After upgrade, I have to use "/usr/games/sdlmame"
dirkomatic

Postby Pinball Wizard » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:19 am

I can still launch any MAME rom that worked before. I still figured I'd give it a shot and when I looked it was already set to that. When I go to view a control panel (on any theme) it draws a black rectangle overtop of everything and I can hit escape to close it. All is well except for that...
I am the Pinball Wizard.
Pinball Wizard

Postby balki » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:35 pm

Pinball Wizard wrote:I can still launch any MAME rom that worked before. I still figured I'd give it a shot and when I looked it was already set to that. When I go to view a control panel (on any theme) it draws a black rectangle overtop of everything and I can hit escape to close it. All is well except for that...

Ooops. Yes, I get the same problem so something's definitely not right. I'll check into it...

edit: Bug spotted. And it will be fixed in the next release. Cheers Mr P. Wizard. :P
balki
Site Admin

Postby Pinball Wizard » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:31 am

Woohoo... I feel useful!!!
I am the Pinball Wizard.
Pinball Wizard

Postby blipside » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:42 pm

Thank you for the file. I have been looking for it.
blipside

Postby pLUSpISTOL » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks for the upload of controls.ini

:)
pLUSpISTOL

Postby Zombie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:38 am

Can someone explain controls.ini's use and function?
Zombie

Postby codefenix » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:03 pm

From http://strategywiki.org/wiki/MAME/Support_Files:
Controls.ini is a project started by Kevin Jonas (SirPoonga) with the help of Howard Casto. This project was started to accurately document the controls and button labels of the arcade control panels from the games in MAME. Like the Catlist and NPlayers files, you can only use the controls.ini with a front-end that is programmed to use it.

Unfortunately, the link that follows in this quoted paragraph is dead.

From the the BYOACWiki page:
CPViewer

CPViewer is a label layout program and controls viewer.

jcrouse says this about what CPViewer is:

"CPViewer is an add-on for Mame. More specifically for the front-end you use to launch your Mame games.

It uses a file called controls.ini (part of controls.dat) to lookup the controls for a particular game. 'It then displays them on the screen so you know what buttons and movements perform what actions in the game that is currently highlighted in your front-end.

Did you ever sit do to play a little and decide to try a new game? Then ask yourself, "What buttons do what?"

Well if the game has been documented in the controls.ini file, this won't happen again. Simply press a hotkey (one of your control panel buttons) and a graphic of your control panel will be displayed with all of the character movements or button assignments displayed so you know what buttons perform what actions. It's that simple." (By John Crouse)
* CPViewer home page

If you download conrols.ini, and use it as documented in the Quick Start Guide, then Wah!Cade will show you which buttons on your panel do what for each game. Press K (or whatever key you assigned on the Keys tab) in Wah!Cade to make the control panel viewer pop up and display the controls for the currently selected game.

If you don't like the look of the control panel viewer, you can use Wah!Cade Layout Editor to make it look however you like. Sometimes it's easiest to take a digital picture of your panel, set it as the background image, and then place your labels next to each button.

erin999 wrote:every game closes when is loading. im guessing is because i don't have controls.ini which i couldn't dowload from this website because of some error. give controls.ini please.

As for the OP's problem, the controls.ini file wouldn't have anything to do with it. It's difficult to say now with this thread being 18 months old, but it seems like she simply didn't have Mame configured properly. Instant game-closings are almost always a symptom of that.
codefenix

Postby Zombie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:45 pm

This is interesting because, I have a wide array of inputs to manage that are including, but not limited too:

Sega Genesis Multi-tap (8 Axis 32 bitttons)
Playstation 2 Controllers
Logitech Driving Wheel
Logitech Flight Stick
Nintendo Wiimote

Whenever I reboot the Mame Cabinet, my /dev/js assignments change. I'd like to find a way for Mame, and Mednafen, to calibrate joypads based on what the joypad is, and not what number of joypad it is in the system.
Zombie

Postby codefenix » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:39 pm

The controls.ini file won't help you there. Your unique setup is way beyond the scope of what it was designed for, which is Mame games controlled by a single panel (or controller).
codefenix

Postby Zombie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:26 pm

I think I get it, can the controls.ini file tell a use when to use a Genesis, Playstation, Flight Stick, Wheel or Wiimote?
Zombie

Next

Return to Wah!Cade