Wah!Cade Layout Transparency Test

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Wah!Cade Layout Transparency Test

Postby sairuk » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:41 am

I have uploaded a Youtube video demonstrating my results of an alternate method for creating Wah!Cade layouts. This method takes advantage of the layer/transparency support built into Wah!Cade to composite the layout as individual pieces of artwork replacing the standard background/gamelist/snap method.

The complexity of your layout will dictate the amount of game artwork you can support. The layout above supports 4 pieces of game artwork snap, title, boxart, logo.
Last edited by sairuk on Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Re: Wah!Cade Layout Transparency Test

Postby Zombie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:27 am

Impressive! I'd love to see if you can make WahCade rival HyperSpin.
Zombie

Postby sairuk » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:53 am

Currently I am looking at what is possible with vanilla Wah!Cade. I think the above layout (being only the second composition test I've done) is quite different to what we have seen released for Wah!Cade in the past and as you say moving towards a Hyperspin'esque layout.

RE: Hyperspin includes alot of additional eyecandy (transitions/animations/picture rotations) which we won't have in Wah!Cade without a major code update. I"m not even sure if the current codebase could handle the eyecandy you see in Hyperspin which would in-turn require a near entire rewrite. Andy is probably best to comment on that.

What we can do right now is take advantage of the available hi-res Hyperspin artwork, 3D boxarts, game logos, etc. Taking this resource and approaching layout construction in a different manner than intended can potentially result in some fine looking layouts.

The layout above uses artwork from:
  • Hyperspin 3D N64 Boxarts
  • Hyperspin N64 Wheel Images
  • Hyperspin N64 Layout (Mario Character)
  • No-Intro Titles
  • No-Intro Snaps
  • My Custom Artwork

I will be posting a short construction breakdown on Wah!Ki in the coming days
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:15 am

Outstanding, I'd be in favor of pre-configured layout packs for most Consoles tailored too WahCade. Converting the old EmuChrist layouts was difficult. and still not entirely complete.
Zombie

Postby sairuk » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:35 pm

Mame layout test, supports up to 8 pieces of artwork
  • Machine Screen
  • Marquee
  • Large Poster
  • Small Posters (all except daytona)

Youtube Video

NB: Uses a custom version of the cabinet render from Maximus Arcade at the moment.
Last edited by sairuk on Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sairuk

Postby sairuk » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:42 pm

I have posted a page of information on the breakdown of the N64 Layout.
sairuk

Postby sairuk » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:08 am

I have re-written the N64 Layout Breakdown today. It contains more information and a better structure for the document; It should help people construct some brilliant layouts for Wah!Cade

and ....

Here is a screenshot of a new test layout for Sega Megadrive, stumbled across the awesome background the other day. Need to aquire some proper artwork for the posters.

Sega Megadrive Layout by sairuk, on Flickr

Background from www.alexfranks.net/3D/3D.html modified for use (can only be used with current Mah!Cade version)
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:20 pm

Magficent. I do have a question, can these features in MahCade be used with the Standard EmuChrist layout?
Zombie

Postby sairuk » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:24 am

Zombie wrote:Magficent. I do have a question, can these features in MahCade be used with the Standard EmuChrist layout?

All Wah!Cade themes should be compatible with Mah!Cade, the reverse though is not the case. There has been a change to the layout system for Mah!Cade; the addition of custom rotation angles for artwork. Standard Wah!Cade has support for 0º, 90º, 180º and 270º whilst Mah!Cade will support all positive angle values. The Mega drive theme above has rotated artwork for the posters at 2º and 357º and is therefore not compatible with the current version of Wah!Cade.

There are still some limitations with the Mah!Cade change; too set a custom angle for artwork you must manually edit the lay files. This is not ideal and will be added to the layout editor in the future, probably far into the future. :mrgreen:
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:48 am

I have a feature request for MahCade, sound effects, and a method other than gstreamer to play audio. gstreamer has been particularly unstable recently.
Zombie

Postby sairuk » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:00 am

Zombie wrote:I have a feature request for MahCade, sound effects, and a method other than gstreamer to play audio. gstreamer has been particularly unstable recently.

I already plan to add sound effects, I have no plans to rewrite the audio functionality for the system. IMHO I may as well write my own frontend (in pygame) if i'm going down to that level, which I have no time for due to RL priorities

This is a subject for a new post, I'd rather keep this post just about the subject matter.
sairuk

Postby General_Faliure » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:56 am

Looks impressive, but i will stick to the old emuchrist layouts.
I use a low resolution, (800X600) which works well with these layouts.
My Arcade cab: https://goo.gl/photos/yE1KACHryQjCaaCj7
Core 2 duo 8400 @3600, 4 gig mem, Geforce 9500. Mame, Mess, Daphne, and some more.
Mah!cade
General_Faliure

Postby sairuk » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:32 am

General_Faliure wrote:Looks impressive, but i will stick to the old emuchrist layouts.
I use a low resolution, (800X600) which works well with these layouts.

These specific layouts are for my HTPC @ 1920x1080 which probably is a non-standard use of Wah!Cade. When I manage to find time to fix the monitor on my cabinet I will be doing a low res set for myself using the same methods.

While the results are certainly pretty at hires, the method behind them is more so my point. Applied correctly would limit a lot of the duplication required in creating the old emuchrist layouts. It can also be used to hide screenshot edges giving it all a cleaner look, up to a point

For example:

would breakdown as :
  • main.lay
  • art1.png = snap
  • art2.png = background layer
  • art3.png = border color image
  • emuname-art4.png = logo image
  • emuname-art5.png = system screenshot

In theory (since I haven't had time to test it); for each system you would then only be required to setup 2 (or 3 images to change border colours) using a common main.lay, art1 & art2 files.
sairuk

Return to Wah!Cade