sdlmess install

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

sdlmess install

Postby icmike5 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:28 pm

I've been out of the emulation loop for a long time so i could use some clarification on mess.

I guess sdlmess replaced xmess and sdlmess is no longer available in the ubuntu repos so I installed the latest sdlmame from http://sdlmame.wallyweek.org/
which contains sdlmess, I think. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

wah!cade opens my intellivision.ini file fine but won't run the game.
I can't find the executable "/usr/games/sdlmess.real" which was posted here in an Intellivision.ini file. In my usr/games folder I have xmess, xmess.SDL and xmess.x11, none of which seem to run my Intellivision games. My command line is "intv -rompath [rompath]/bios -cart [rompath]/"[name].[romext]" -multithreading -nomaximize -readconfig -writeconfig -cfg_directory ~/.sdlmess/cfg/ -keepaspect -waitvsync -switchres -video opengl"

So first of all please correct me in any of my assumptions then maybe a hint as to what to check next.
Dell Inspiron 531:AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000/3GB RAM/nVidia GeForce 6150SE
Kubuntu 10.04
MAME 0.141
wahcade 0.99pre8
icmike5

Re: sdlmess install

Postby sairuk » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:14 pm

I didn't think SDLMESS was available from wallyweek yet.

The SDL port of mame has now been integrated into the mainline source, mess uses the mame source so therefore sdlmess is available without additional files. This may be where the confusion is from.

You can compile it yourself http://www.mess.org/ or http://mess.redump.net/compiling_mess

Or you could try (I think this is what I ended up using at one point) http://journalxtra.com/2009/11/how-to-i ... to-ubuntu/
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby icmike5 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:48 pm

So if I have a current version of mame installed (0.141) , that should have installed sdlmess but it's included inside mame, correct?

So if mess uses mame source should I be running mame as my executable to run intellivision games?

Attached is what I currently have installed for "mame"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kubuntu 10.04
MAME 0.141
wahcade 0.99pre8
icmike5

Postby sairuk » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:54 am

Its not included in mame, but is compiled with the use of the mame source. Installing sdlmame from a repo will only give you sdlmame (unless the author has packaged it differently).

You will need to install or compile mess separately.

I have not used the xmess-sdl, so cannot comment on it at this point.

try issuing 'locate mess' at a command line to see what is installed.
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby icmike5 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:25 am

I'm just wondering why they even bothered combining them if you still need to install both.
Kubuntu 10.04
MAME 0.141
wahcade 0.99pre8
icmike5

Postby sairuk » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:44 am

icmike5 wrote:I'm just wondering why they even bothered combining them if you still need to install both.

the mess functionality is basically an extension of the mame base. The mame base contains many emulated chips common to machines emulated in mess so it makes sense to "piggyback" the existing source. It is more involved that than but it certainly is a smart way of doing things. Both projects can benefit from the work done in either project.

When it comes to running mess, mess is a recompilation of mame with additions. The are separate programs with a common source base.

They are compiled separately (for the moment) and therefore (unless packaged together) have need to be installed separately.
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:15 am

I can help with this. that Syntax doesn't work well with Ubuntu. Ubuntu has dependency conflicts between sdlmame and xmame, xmess and sdlmess. To get them both installed, I had to use Alien to convert packages from Mandriva. Mandriva's packages rename the sdlmame and sdlmess executables to sdlmame.real and sdlmess.real. But on Mandriva, xmame and xmess, and sdlmame and sdlmess do not conflict and can be installed concurrently.
Zombie

Postby icmike5 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:58 pm

OK. Now I understand finally. Thanks sairuk. And thanks Zombie for explaining why you have /usr/games/sdlmess.real.
So is the assumption that maybe mame will incorporate mess someday?

On a similar note, do I really need mame and sdlmame installed? I call mame in my command line, not sdlmame.
Kubuntu 10.04
MAME 0.141
wahcade 0.99pre8
icmike5

Postby sairuk » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:01 pm

icmike5 wrote:So is the assumption that maybe mame will incorporate mess someday?

It's certainly possible, and i assume only separated currently for convenience

icmike5 wrote:On a similar note, do I really need mame and sdlmame installed? I call mame in my command line, not sdlmame.

no, unless mame is actually a symlink to the sdlmame executable

this is a sdlmame/sdlmess repository for debian systems (working on ubuntu) http://apt.ludomatic.fr/?hl=en
sairuk

Return to Wah!Cade