Wahcade restart games twice (not the known old issue)

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Wahcade restart games twice (not the known old issue)

Postby martinc » Sat May 14, 2011 10:18 pm

Hi all,

I am having a strange issue here since I have installed dosbox (it is strange, I know, but that was the last thing I did. Before that all was working very well). The issue itself happens when I start any games, and it starts with no issues... the thing is that when I exit the game, it is started again from wahcade. If I exit again, the issue does not happen again.

It is like that old issue on wahcade (that was fixed on mahcade already) where the games restart once and again, but in this case it happens just once when any games exit. I thought this happened on dosbox only but it happens on MAME (sdlmame) and Atari (stella). I was fighting with this issue several hours but now realized it is not related with dosbox only, since it happens on Stella and SDLMame also.

One strange thing is that it happens only if joysticks are plugged into the machine (with just one controller and with two of them too), but it seems to be fine is I don't use any controllers and only use the keyboard.

I can't see any errors on wahcade, just that strange behavior on all the games, with all my platforms.

Is anyone else having this issue too? I am using the last development release (commit 55).

Thanks a lot in advance,
Martin
martinc

Re: Wahcade restart games twice (not the known old issue)

Postby sairuk » Sat May 14, 2011 11:32 pm

Commit 55 means you are using Mah!Cade not Wah!Cade correct?

Not having an issue like that here (yet) but have you tried increasing the lock_time value in the ini to see if that prevents the re-launching?
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby martinc » Sat May 14, 2011 11:57 pm

Yes, sorry, I am using mahcade, not wahcade... my bad :)

I tried with lock_file and the issue is still there. The strange thing is that only occurs if I start the game with the joystick, since if I start them from my keyboard, it exits the game and does not re-launch it.

It is weird since even in log file I can't see anything useful, not like in others issues before:

[Sat May 14 19:51:00 2011]: ******** Begin command output
[Sat May 14 19:51:04 2011]: ******** End command output
[Sat May 14 19:51:04 2011]: Lock file found: Waiting 1
[Sat May 14 19:51:05 2011]: Lock time elapsed, removing file
[Sat May 14 19:51:05 2011]: Lock File removed successfully
[Sat May 14 19:51:05 2011]: [PYGAME] started joystick device number: 0
[Sat May 14 19:51:05 2011]: [PYGAME] started joystick device number: 1

Please note that lock_file is in 1 second now, but I tried setting it up to 3, 5 and 10 seconds, with same results.

This issue just appears now, after install dosbox (I don;t know if that is the root cause, anyway, but it was the only thing I did before I can see the issue), since I am using this last version of mahcade since several days with no issues at all.
martinc

Postby sairuk » Sun May 15, 2011 4:26 am

martinc wrote:Yes, sorry, I am using mahcade, not wahcade... my bad :)

I tried with lock_file and the issue is still there. The strange thing is that only occurs if I start the game with the joystick, since if I start them from my keyboard, it exits the game and does not re-launch it.

It is weird since even in log file I can't see anything useful, not like in others issues before:

[Sat May 14 19:51:00 2011]: ******** Begin command output
[Sat May 14 19:51:04 2011]: ******** End command output
[Sat May 14 19:51:04 2011]: Lock file found: Waiting 1
[Sat May 14 19:51:05 2011]: Lock time elapsed, removing file
[Sat May 14 19:51:05 2011]: Lock File removed successfully
[Sat May 14 19:51:05 2011]: [PYGAME] started joystick device number: 0
[Sat May 14 19:51:05 2011]: [PYGAME] started joystick device number: 1

Please note that lock_file is in 1 second now, but I tried setting it up to 3, 5 and 10 seconds, with same results.

This issue just appears now, after install dosbox (I don;t know if that is the root cause, anyway, but it was the only thing I did before I can see the issue), since I am using this last version of mahcade since several days with no issues at all.

Very strange, perhaps review the logfile from whatever package manager you use and look for hints there. The Mah!Cade log file is in its infancy, I've been adding it as I work through the code not only remind me (like comments) but also feedback to users similar information.

Unfortunately joystick support is known to flaky in Wah/Mah!cade so worst case is to turn off joystick support and run a qjoypad profile (I do this on my htpc atm) while it gets fixed.
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby martinc » Wed May 18, 2011 3:39 am

Apparently the issue appears when 1 key and controller button are set to launch a game. It was there since I started with all this, months ago.

I just removed the 1 key from there and now it is working just fine launching the games with controller button only.

Very strange, but that will not makes me a difference, since my idea is control everything from joysticks only once the arcade is finished.

Thanks for your help on this :)
martinc

Postby ian57 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:20 am

Hi,

I have the same problem on ubuntu 12.04 32 + bzr version of wahcade. I tried the lock_time tip without effect.

Keyboard alone it's ok, (Launch Game with return key)
keyboard + 1st controller : Launch game with "Return" and any button (button0 to button5) : the game restart automatically when quitting
keyboard +1st controller + 2nd controller : select game with 1st controller and Launch game with "Return" and any button of the second controller (button0 to button5) : It's OK

Dont know really why, but it works
ian57

Postby sairuk » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:13 am

Interesting, something new perhaps in that as to where we should start looking. Thanks for the feedback.
sairuk

Postby ian57 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:04 pm

Finally, i use qjoypad only to launch game by configuring the kp_1 key which is used in my configuration of Wahcade (I'm french and i can't configure the 1 key on my keyboard, the key is not recognized by wahcade setup because it send "ampersand" instead of 1)

It works well now... There's always a solution with Linux ;-)

But yes the behaviour with the 2 control pad is strange.... I must say that i played with the two pad during my tests, to activate all the buttons.

Yann
ian57

Postby sairuk » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:48 pm

ian57 wrote:keyboard + 1st controller : Launch game with "Return" and any button (button0 to button5) : the game restart automatically when quitting

When this happens do you mean
1.) The ctrlr.ini file is configured with the RETURN | JOY1_BUTTON0 (or similar) and pressing the joystick in this scenario loops the launch upon return from the game
2.) You are pressing both RETURN and JOY1_BUTTON0 to launch a game simultaneously
3.) You are pressing JOY1_BUTTON0 followed immediately by the RETURN key to launch a game
4.) Another sequence of key presses ... please detail

I was looking at this issue again this morning, but cannot get it to repeat in vbox before or after some changes I made (perhaps fixed \o/)

Thanks
sairuk

Return to Wah!Cade