DOSBOX and different keys to exit

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

DOSBOX and different keys to exit

Postby martinc » Sun May 15, 2011 12:35 am

Hi all,

I am adding games to my mahcade + dosbox and I have the following problem, maybe anyone else had the same problem and could tell me how fixed it:

I use qjoypad to map the keys with controller buttons so I can control everything from my joystick (in the future it will be an arcade cabinet). I have mapped a button to start games, exit games, etc... so I have mapped Escape key to exit from the MAME games, Ctrl+Q to exit from Atari games, but.... on dosbox I have games that exit with Escape games (most of them) and others (like Prince of Persia) that exits using Ctrl+Q keys... so if I map the Escape key on qjoypad, I have issues with some games, viceversa.

Anyone else had a similar issue or knows how it can be fixed? I am reading dosbox documentation, but with no luck yet.

Thanks,
Martin
martinc

Re: DOSBOX and different keys to exit

Postby codefenix » Sun May 15, 2011 3:34 am

Firstly, you don't need qjoypad, as DOSBox supports keymapping already.

Visit these links:
http://wahki.mameau.com/index.php?title=Emulator:DOSBox#Key_Mapping
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Keymapper

Secondly, the most important thing you need to realize when it comes to DOS games is that you will not get all the games you like to work 100% perfectly on your cabinet, due to the vast variations in menu navigation and gameplay interface from game to game. If you can accept the inevitable limitations, by all means, proceed.

I've spent a lot of time getting DOSBox to work just right with Wah!Cade in my cabinet, with a humble selection of games. I recommend you read my guide it its entirety (the first link above). If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
codefenix

Postby Zombie » Sun May 15, 2011 4:11 am

Good to see you again, Codefenix. Actually, I've found the best solution to be: Navigate to the game's Exit command using the joypad.

I have a similar problem however. I want to map my "Home button" to the exit function.
Zombie

Postby martinc » Sun May 15, 2011 5:55 am

I could do it (not the best way, of course) mapping the Ctrl+F9 (shutdown dosbox) to Escape key, and since I hace mapped that (Escape) key to my controller (on qjoypad), when I press the controller button dosbox just shutdown and I am again on mahcade. As I said, that is not the best way or the most elegant, but that was my first solution before to read your reply.

Anyway, my idea is not fill my cabinet with all PC games I can, I just want to add some of my favorite ones (they are several, but not too much) and join them to the other (MAME and Atari 2600) games I like to play.

Anyway, I will read those links, I have a lot to learn still about all this, so I appreciate a lot that info ;)
martinc

Postby codefenix » Mon May 16, 2011 1:40 pm

martinc wrote:when I press the controller button dosbox just shutdown and I am again on mahcade. As I said, that is not the best way or the most elegant, but that was my first solution before to read your reply.

I would be hard-pressed to think of any way more elegant than what you described here. I still think you could lose qjoypad and let DOSBox handle all the keymapping, as DOSBox can map keyboard keys to joystick buttons and vice versa, unless of course you happen to be using a joypad that has more than 4 buttons.

Sometimes you need to accept the less-than-graceful methods to reach your goal (it couldn't be more true than when it comes to non-console games). Remember that to the end-user it will be a seamless transition, and that's all that matters in the end.
codefenix

Postby codefenix » Mon May 16, 2011 3:03 pm

Zombie wrote:Actually, I've found the best solution to be: Navigate to the game's Exit command using the joypad.

The problem there is when you're presented with an "Exit? Y/N" prompt, as many DOS games tend to have. Unless you've found a gamepad that actually has Y and N keys.

Therefore it's best in most cases to keymap DOSBox's shutdown function to ESC, to gracefully exit on ESC and return to Wah!Cade.
codefenix

Postby Zombie » Tue May 17, 2011 3:19 pm

I'm having serious yet similar problems to the Atari ST platform.
Zombie

Return to Wah!Cade