Mame and Mednafen as screen savers?

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Re: Mame and Mednafen as screen savers?

Postby Zombie » Wed May 18, 2011 5:36 pm

Xmame Screensaver turned out to be a shell script. And little else. It looks like this.

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash                                                                                                                                                                             

trap "killall xmame.x11" EXIT                                                                                                                                                           
ulimit -c 0                                                                                                                                                                             

while true; do                                                                                                                                                                         
   xmame.x11 random -run-in-root-window -scale 2 2> /dev/null &                                                                                                                         
   sleep 120                                                                                                                                                                           
   killall xmame.x11                                                                                                                                                                   
   sleep 2                                                                                                                                                                             
   i=100                                                                                                                                                                               
   while [ "$i" -gt 0 ]; do                                                                                                                                                             
      echo                                                                                                                                                                             
      i=$(($i-1))                                                                                                                                                                       
   done                                                                                                                                                                                 
done                                                                                                                                                                                   

The thing is, that I have the exact same problem as before, both xmame and sdlmame produce "nag screens" and I need a patch to remove them.
Zombie

Postby codefenix » Wed May 18, 2011 5:59 pm

By "nag screen", do you mean the message telling you to type OK prior to playing? You turn this off in sdlmame/xmame config (check the man page).

However, you'll still get the warnings telling you when roms are missing CHDs or are less than 100% accurate. No patch exists to remove those. You'll have to edit the source code yourself.
codefenix

Postby stealth » Thu May 19, 2011 10:03 am

Zombie wrote:
The thing is, that I have the exact same problem as before, both xmame and sdlmame produce "nag screens" and I need a patch to remove them.

Do you use my binary from livemamecab ? Take it /usr/games/xmamescreensaver and put it instead of xmame.x11 or change in your code xmame.x11/xmamescreensaver
A little mamecab OS - Mah!Cade, mame , retroarch - Livemamecab
The live CD can be used for a quick demo or test, Download ISO
stealth

Postby Zombie » Thu May 19, 2011 3:16 pm

Here is the thing,. I have too many "strange hackish behaviors" setup as it is. I really think that the whole "use applications as a screen saver" thing should be an embedded feature of WahCade/MahCade. It would also be good, but probably impossible to display the Rom running in the Artwork1 Window. The thing is, my hard disk space is getting really "eaten up" but adding artwork and previews. (I'm considering buying a bigger hard disk for this thing.)
Zombie

Postby Zombie » Thu May 19, 2011 3:23 pm

I can't read french by the way.
Zombie

Postby stealth » Thu May 19, 2011 6:13 pm

I posted xmamescreensaver here http://numsys.eu/divers/xmamescreensaver/

Run with xmamescreensaver -joytype '1' -analogstick -joydevname '/dev/input/js' -usbpspad -norapidfire -nougcicoin -artwork -use_backdrops -use_overlays -use_bezels -noartwork_crop -volume -32 -fullscreen -arbheight '0' -heightscale '1' -widthscale '1' -effect '1' -autodouble rom.zip
stealth

Postby Zombie » Fri May 20, 2011 7:41 am

Immediate segfault.
Zombie

Postby stealth » Fri May 20, 2011 8:04 am

It was compiled for an Ubuntu (x86) system
stealth

Postby Zombie » Fri May 20, 2011 8:53 am

That would be why. I use Manadriva.
Zombie

Postby Zombie » Fri May 20, 2011 12:25 pm

xscreensaver-command can fill this function.
Zombie

Postby Oliveber » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:35 am

no one has added it yet
Oliveber

Previous

Return to Wah!Cade