Trying to understand Wah!cade layouts and the layout editor

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Trying to understand Wah!cade layouts and the layout editor

Postby adilson » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi.

This is my first post here. My name is Adilson Oliveira, 42 yo brazilian, currently working for Canonical (of Ubuntu fame) as Technical Account Manager.
I've been researching on alternatives to build my long-dreamed mame-based arcade device and I choose Wah!cade as my frontend. I'm now trying to create a 1280x1024 layout but I'm having problems to make the images show up as required.
Am I correct to understand that, as long the artwork_*_image_path parameters are correctly pointing to the correct folders, it does not matter what it is in there like, artwork 1 can be title, icon or snap? This looks like the most logical assumption but looking at the forum I have the impression that they may have fixed meanings like artwork 3 can only be marquees for instance.
What's happening here is that I can't have a consistent behaviour from the test layouts I'm creating. Sometimes the images don't appear, sometimes they show a different image (say titles instead of snapshots) even if the wahcade-setup points to the correct folders.
Another question: what's the correct way to start a layput from scratch. If I try to start whacade-layout-editor with a new design from command line it crashes because it cannot open it.
Is there a tutorial for layout design?

Thanks in advance!

Adilson.
adilson

Re: Trying to understand Wah!cade layouts and the layout editor

Postby codefenix » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:58 am

Hi Adilson. Welcome to the Wah!Cade Forum.

Your understanding is correct. Any of your artwork path parameters may be for any type of artwork. They are not fixed.

I believe the behavior you're describing is due to a reported (but not officially acknowledged) bug in Wah!Cade. Make sure that you are using your artwork paths in succession with no gaps. That is, if you have a path defined for artwork 1 and artwork 3, then make sure you have something for artwork 2. Otherwise you'll see the behavior similar to what you describe.

Please see these posts, as they describe similar issues:

Hope this helps.
codefenix

Re: Trying to understand Wah!cade layouts and the layout editor

Postby adilson » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:12 pm

Hello

Looks like it is a bug. I just browsed the code quickly and this may be related to either a bug on parsing the layout file or some of the image buffers being not initialized correctly. Unfortunately, python is not my forte so I can't really advise how to deal with it.
For now I setled on using but layers one and two with titles and snapshots and this seen to work.
Thanks for the reply!
adilson

Return to Wah!Cade