OpenGL error when testing xmame

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

OpenGL error when testing xmame

Postby radiost8 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:45 pm

I'm new to Linux and am trying to set up an arcade box for a friend using Wah!cade on an Ubuntu install. I've reached the point where I'm testing the pacman rom but when I do so I get the following error:

Code: Select all
GLERROR: cannot access OpenGL library libGL.so
GLERROR: dlerror() returns [libGL.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]
Use of OpenGL mode disabled
XDGAOpenFramebuffer failed
Use of DGA-modes is disabled
error: compiled byte ordering doesn't match machine byte ordering.
compiled for MSB first, are you sure you chose the right cpu in makefile.unix?

The quick start guide says there may be errors and modification of the xmamerc or xmame-x11rc may be required. I believe I have those files in order and am wondering if this error is not associated with either of these files. Is it a graphics card driver issue? I'm running this on a Dell Dimension 3100 with a 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jason
radiost8

Re: OpenGL error when testing xmame

Postby codefenix » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:38 pm

Xmame is becoming more and more broken on newer versions of Ubuntu, which is why you're seeing those messages in the terminal. Also, Xmame is no longer supported, maintained, etc. However, a workaround does exist.

Instead of installing Xmame from apt-get, search the web for a Debian (non-Ubuntu) version of the DEB package. If you remove the version you're using and replace it with this, it should work.

If you continue to have problems with Xmame, abandon it altogether. Use the new Mame (formerly SDLMame) instead. A sudo apt-get install mame will get you set up.

Xmame should really only be used on older PCs with limited specs, and (I find) works best on Ubuntu versions prior to 10.04. If you have a reasonably newer machine, Mame is your ticket.
codefenix

Re: OpenGL error when testing xmame

Postby General_Faliure » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:16 pm

Here: http://sdlmame.wallyweek.org/ is a site where you can find the newest version of mame for Ubuntu.
The best way is to add the repository, how to do that is explained on the website.

Greetz, Ger.
My Arcade cab: https://goo.gl/photos/yE1KACHryQjCaaCj7
Core 2 duo 8400 @3600, 4 gig mem, Geforce 9500. Mame, Mess, Daphne, and some more.
Mah!cade
General_Faliure

Return to Wah!Cade