Is WahCade still being developed?

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Is WahCade still being developed?

Postby Zombie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:28 pm

Is WahCade still being developed? I have not seen any new releases in a VERY long time. Call me concerned.
Zombie

Re: Is WahCade still being developed?

Postby kerobaros » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:56 am

How do I politely put this...

Pretty sure the answer is no. I would love more than anything to be proven wrong.

There has been some work on a fork of wahcade, at https://code.launchpad.net/~waynemou/wahcade/devel, but it hasn't been updated for just over a month. The code as it is on that site has a glitch that prevents it from working with any current version of MAME. I think I fixed it: details in this post.

Please, someone, prove me wrong.
kerobaros

Postby codefenix » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:09 pm

Your concern is shared, Zombie. I think it's safe to say that its present incarnation has reached the end of its lifecycle. But as Sairuk said a few months ago, back when I outspokenly voiced my gripes with WahCade, the project is Open Source. Anyone who wants to further its development isn't being stopped from doing so.

As much as that sounds like a cop out, it is the truth.

Any interested parties with experience programming in Python would be welcomed to chime in.

I've toyed with the idea of writing my own frontend from scratch using Mono. Not yet sure whether it's practical at this point.
codefenix

Postby Zombie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:22 am

I don't have any experience with Python, and I never use any projects that use Mono as they rarely work. My only gripe with WahCade right now is the Start button glitch in the stable version.
Zombie

Postby sairuk » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:27 am

I still look at the source from time to time, when i have a bit of free time; file list generation has been broken in Mah!Cade on lp for a while now (which broke my htpc).I was looking into why last night and have committed a fix for testing.

It would seem, Wah!cade has gone the way of Mamewah atm, the difference being the Wah!Cade source is available to work on. I have toyed with the idea (as well) of writing my own frontend using pygame but its not something i have time for.
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:29 am

I wouldn't mind if WahCade entered a support or bug fix only phase.
Zombie

Postby General_Faliure » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:20 pm

I agree to that.
I like wahcade as it is, it works stable and fast on my old hardware.
Most people (mostly windoze users) who see my cabinet in action are awestruck when they hear it is all been done with Linux and free software.
My Arcade cab: https://goo.gl/photos/yE1KACHryQjCaaCj7
Core 2 duo 8400 @3600, 4 gig mem, Geforce 9500. Mame, Mess, Daphne, and some more.
Mah!cade
General_Faliure

Postby Zombie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:29 pm

My Mame Console (which looks like an XBox360) has both admirers and haters.
Zombie

Return to Wah!Cade