Snes9x - Modifier keys

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Snes9x - Modifier keys

Postby codefenix » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:26 pm

I'm going to try to fill in some of the missing platform configs on the Wah!Ki page. One of the things I'm testing at the moment is Snes9x GTK. I've always been a ZSNES man, personally, however I'd like to have as much information as possible on all available software. Kind of the same spirit as Zombie's Advocacy thread.

Anyway, I've run into an annoying issue with Snes9x's key mapping. It seems that mapping something to a modifier key, like say, left shift, prevents you from using that button simultaneously with another.

I use the IPAC-2 in my cabinet, so my desired cab-friendly keymappings under ZSNES are as follows:
- L: CTRL
- X: ALT
- R: Space
- Y: Left Shift
- B: Z
- A: X

It translates to this on the control panel:
(L) (X) (R)
(Y) (B) (A)

I find that this keymapping works beautifully in ZSNES. In Snes9x, however, while you're holding down the Y button (Left shift), no other button registers. As a result, you cannot jump while charging your X-Buster in Mega Man X, you cannot jump while firing in Contra III, etc.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a solution that doesn't involve reprogramming the IPAC?
codefenix

Re: Snes9x - Modifier keys

Postby RomKnight » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:45 am

Just seen this post... very LATE I know, but, have you tried other emulators like mess or even better bsnes? If it works maybe is a snes9x thing like regitering as a modifer key instead of a key like any other...
RomKnight

Re: Snes9x - Modifier keys

Postby codefenix » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:02 am

I actually primarily use ZSNES, as I stated in the original post. This issue is just something I ran into while testing Snes9x for the Wah!Ki page.
codefenix

Return to Wah!Cade