More Unofficial Layouts

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Re: More Unofficial Layouts

Postby Zombie » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:48 pm

I just found out that the console version of the PPC mac was called the "Apple Pippin". Now I feel like an idiot.

There were two different types of Macs. (now three)

There were 68000 Macs
There were PPC Macs, aka Power Macs
now there are Intel Macs.
The Apple Pippin was a Console version of the PPC mac.
Zombie

Postby codefenix » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:21 pm

Ever since I've gotten interested in emulation, I've been consistently amazed by just how many consoles existed that I've never heard of. The Pippin is just another of these...

Anyway, do you have working configurations for any of these? Which of the Apple systems do you need layouts for?
codefenix

Postby Zombie » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:21 pm

Well, I'm still sorting out the details of getting emulation sorted out.

Amstrad CPC and ZX Spectrum are complete, they just require keyboard use to run. (This is a problem with alot of the "Computer" Consoles like the Atari 8-bits and the Atari ST)

As for the Apple Consoles, my plans are:

Apple II GS will run on KEGS
68000 Mac will run on Basalisk II.
Power PC Mac will run on PearPC. (The Pippin is one of these.)

I have a policy of not providing support for any emulator I cannot produce a Mandriva approved package for. I've got that for KEGS and Basalisk II, I'm trying to get that setup for PearPC but there is a build error in the way. The big problem with these three problems is, like x86 PCs, they require their respective operating systems to run applications. "Roms" for these systems will be scripts that execute applications (like DOS Batch files) after booting the respective OS.

Do I have a working config for these like ZX Spectrum and Amstrad? No. Will I? Probably.

On the topic of the Atari 8-bits I will probably swap my Atari 130 XE brushed metal skin for one you make. Because, my Atari 8 bit support is not specific to the 130XE. It covers the original 400, 800, the entire XL series, and the XE series - and it is impossible to distinguish what specific Atari console the game was made for because many of them had a range of compatibility.
Zombie

Postby Zombie » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:08 pm

Also note that while this project is by no means a failure, and we have reached many of our goals, it is still very much the case that we are still missing a huge sloth of our projected targets.

Specifically:

Sharp X68000
Commodore Amiga
Atari Jaguar
FM Towns (Marty)

Since we are sorta stuck, we have to start looking into alternatives to increase WahCade's value as a platform for Emulation development. So I'm looking into other options that I haven't explored before.
Zombie

Postby codefenix » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:02 pm

Zombie wrote:Since we are sorta stuck, we have to start looking into alternatives to increase WahCade's value as a platform for Emulation development.

Don't put too much into effort into it. It doesn't make WahCade any less valuable if a few fringe-system emulators don't play well with it or don't exist. WahCade should never take the blame for such shortcomings. It's only a frontend, and not much else beyond that.

Zombie wrote:I have a policy of not providing support for any emulator I cannot produce a Mandriva approved package for.

Why? You don't need a "package" to add an emulator to WahCade -- you just add a new INI file that points to the executable. Also, this policy alienates Ubuntu (or other Debian) users, which I'd bet at least half of WahCade's users are.

Since you mentioned the Atari 130XE:
emuchrist_atari130xe.jpg

Also, Pippin in both white and black:
emuchrist_pippin.jpg

emuchrist_pippin_alt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
codefenix

Postby Zombie » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:29 pm

I'm making a task-Wahcade Meta-package to automate the installation and auto configuration of WahCade for first time users. I should also mention that usually, (normally) if a package exists for Mandriva/Fedora/Suse, it exists for Ubuntu as well.

I want every system I can possibly get working to work. I've put many man hours into ZX Spectrum, and other things.
Zombie

Postby codefenix » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:40 pm

I can understand the desire to get as many emulators as possible to work with WahCade, but the perception that it somehow detracts from WahCade's value if a few unmemorable system aren't "supported" is erroneous. Likewise, it does not add any value to WahCade if configs are devised for these. Real value comes from stability and features. It's not a feature to make a frontend call a different emulator.
codefenix

What happened to PC-88 and PC-98 layouts?

Postby Zombie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:22 pm

What happened to PC-88 and PC-98 layouts? I know they existed at one point on the EmuChrist Layout? did we miss those? (There should be no need to recreate those as they should exist already, but I don't have them.) Additionally, today or tomorrow, I will be uploading a Kegs config and a Quasi88 Config
Zombie

Android?

Postby Zombie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:30 pm

Hey CodeFenix, could you whip up one for Android?
Zombie

Postby codefenix » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:15 pm

Bam.
emuchrist_android.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
codefenix

Previous

Return to Wah!Cade