Case insensitive romext + read more than one romext

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Case insensitive romext + read more than one romext

Postby RomKnight » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:17 pm

I think it would be useful if the romext variable was treated case insensitive for "gamelist" creation when although it must be OK for game to load (when one use decent OSes :P)

Thing is, I had assorted zx spectrum games some .TZX and other .tzx and I found out that not all would show in the game list...

This is not a request. All I'm asking if if there some argument we can pass to the function in charge of gamelist creation when its read from a folder and IF there is *where* is that function. I take care of the rest. I'm guessing win_main.py although it might use some object/class/whatever from other .py file

And to finish a suggestion (maybe already in todo list :) ): it would be a cool feature to use at least 2 different romext i.e., "tzx; tap" for searching roms in same dir.

Useful to use only ONE emulator to read several formats in one go :)

If I can come up with something (i'm trying to learn but its hard to start with something this complex :D) I'll post it.
RomKnight

Re: Case insensitive romext + read more than one romext

Postby sairuk » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:43 pm

RomKnight wrote:And to finish a suggestion (maybe already in todo list :) ): it would be a cool feature to use at least 2 different romext i.e., "tzx; tap" for searching roms in same dir.

Mah!Cade partially supports this; use "tzx;tap;TZX;TAP" etc , I may have broken it since it was first implemented. There is no doubt it could be improved to be 'case-insensitive'

Multiple rom extensions may be specified and separated with a semicolon. (ie. smc;sfc;bin)
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby codefenix » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:36 am

I don't know. On Linux it's possible for many files of the same name to exist in the same directory as long as they're cased differently. As ludicrous as it may seem, you can have mario.zip and MaRiO.ZIp exist in the same folder, each serving different purposes. You wouldn't want the wrong file to be called due to this case insensitivity.

If it has to get added, maybe make it user toggleable?
codefenix

Postby RomKnight » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:14 pm

@codefenix
Proper OSes work like that :twisted: (case sensitive)

Anyway, its just for gamelist creation purpose and just for romext. Otherwise if you toggle something to be all down/uppercase then *ah!cade calls, i.e., mame like "mame /path_tp/yourgame.zip" and the ext is ZIP it won't work.

The only way I can think (while writing this) would be renaming the rom selected prior to call the emulator. IT is possible to test if a string is all lowercase and if not transpose it. But its too much work just to play a game says I... no?

@sairuk
It works.. I tested it without the double quotes that's why it did not work before (or I may have messed up between several speccy emulators...)
RomKnight

Return to Wah!Cade