Platform Configurations on Wah!Ki

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Platform Configurations on Wah!Ki

Postby codefenix » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:38 pm

For anyone who's interested, I've been spending a little extra time fleshing out the platform configurations on Wah!Ki (http://wahki.mameau.com/index.php?title=Configuration:Platform). Of particular note is running PC Engine CD games on Mednafen.

I'd like to have as many known working emulators documented as possible, and with as many nitty-gritty details as possible. Typical things I like to have documentation on are:
  • How to redefine control keys
  • How to remap hotkeys
  • How to exit the emulator
  • How to set the emulator to fullscreen modeand enable effects like bilinear filtering
See the Wah!Ki pages for Gens/GS, ZSNES, Mednafen, and perhaps most notably DOSBox for examples of details that I've painstakingly documented. Atomiswave and Naomi using Demul on Wine is another great example that Sairuk has worked on.

My goal is to keep these configurations current with the platforms mentioned in the Emulator INI and Advocacy threads, as long as they are both confirmed working and have all the necessary details listed.
codefenix

Re: Platform Configurations on Wah!Ki

Postby sairuk » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:29 am

Some very nice work there mate.
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:40 am

I can help here.
Zombie

Postby Zombie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:38 am

Code: Select all
Arcade/Mame
Laserdisc
Sammy Atomiswave
Sega Model 2
Sega Model 3
Sega Naomi 1 & 2

Atari:
8-bit computer line (includes 400, 800, XL, and XE series.) - use atari800
ST
Lynx

Nintendo:

Game Boy Classic - use sdlmess to colorize
Super Game Boy - use sdlmess to get Super Game Boy features.
Game Boy Color - use mednafen
Game Boy Advance - use mednafen
Nintendo 64 - use mupen64plus
Nintendo Entertainment System
Super Nintendo
Virtual Boy
Famicom Disk System

Sega:

Dreamcast
Game Gear
Master System
Mega Drive/Genesis
32X
Sega CD
Saturn

Sony:

Playstation
Playstation 2
Playstation Portable

Others:

ColecoVision
Intellivision

SNK
Neo Geo Pocket Color
Neo Geo AES
Neo Geo CD

NEC
PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16
Turbo Super CD Rom 2

x86 PC

Linux Applications
Windows Applications (using Wine)
DOS

Commodore
Commodore 64
Commodore VIC 20
Commodore Amiga

Vintage:

Amstrad CPC
Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128
Tandy Color Computer

There are four total Game Boy platforms. Game Boy Classic games were produced strictly before the release of the Super Game Boy. They have no advanced features when inserted into the Super Game Boy. Games like this include Ninja Gaiden Shadow, Super Mario Land, and Metroid II, Return of Samus

Super Game Boy games are games made prior to the release of the Game Boy Color, but have expanded color palette and routines that only function in the Super Game Boy and NOT in the Game Boy Color. Games like this include Pokemon Red, and Blue, which are only properly colorized on the Super Game Boy, Donkey Kong 94, and Killer Instinct.

There is a type of Transitional "Black Cartridge" type, which is compatible with Classic, Super, and Color game boy. But may be inferior on Super Game Boy and functions better on Game Boy Color: Best example: Link's awakening DX.

Game Boy Color and Advance games are self Explanatory

Famicom Disk system games/exclusives are require you to use F6 and F8 to Insert and Remove disks.
Zombie

Postby codefenix » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:52 pm

Some good info there. I'll point out some things...

You'll notice that Sairuk made three columns when this page was initially designed: Arcade, Console/Handheld, and Computers. I put the Atari 800 and ST under the "Vintage" section in the computer column, as they are classified more as home computer systems than video game consoles. They have more similarities to Commodore, Sinclair, and Tandy hardware than to that of Nintendo or Sega. What would be handy to know is how to configure these systems for cabinets and gamepads.

The next thing is probably more of an opinion. All Commodore systems belong under Vintage, not Modern, since Commodore has been long defunct, unless you count the Commodore 64x currently being sold by Commodore USA, which I don't. Now you may ask yourself why DOS is included as a Modern platform. Well, DOS is a platform that could be classified as either Vintage or Modern, but I decided on Modern since you can actually install and run DOS on modern hardware. Even Windows 7 still makes DOS boot disks.

Last, and this is just another opinion of mine which is certainly subject to debate, MESS is never my preferred emulator on any system. MESS is exactly what it sounds like: a huge mess. Features are consistently added, changed, and removed from version to version for all drivers, making it overall unstable and difficult to settle on one version that behaves the way you want for the system(s) you're trying to emulate. MESS also strives for accuracy over performance, therefore it's more prone to slow-downs. Also, I find that colors in general look pretty muted in MESS as opposed to the rich and vibrant colors achievable on dedicated-platform emulators. Because of all of this, I try to list MESS as a "known emulator" as little as possible, only mentioning it when no other emulator will do or exists. Perfect examples: Intellivision and Tandy CoCo 3 don't have dedicated emulators on Linux, therefore MESS is the one and only option. In the case of Game Boy games, sure, you could certainly use MESS to gain the colorization you might see on Super Game Boy and Game Boy Color. However, if I wanted to truly emulate the Game Boy, I'd just stick with Mednafen to see how it really looked in 1989 without said colorization. Again, to each his own, pick your poison, either is fine. Again, these are just personal guidelines of mine.

I'll be happy to add/modify configs for the systems you mention. We'll need the path to the executable, commandline_format, information on key reassignments, and how to quit gracefully.
Last edited by codefenix on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
codefenix

Postby Zombie » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:55 am

Except for one thing. The Super Game Boy games are SUPPOSED to look like how they are supposed to look like. They are supposed to be in color, and playing them in Classic game boy mode cheapens the experience. I really wish Mednafen had Super Game Boy support.
Zombie

Postby RomKnight » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:27 pm

nice work. I'll check out dosbox stuff :)

[edit]

to imstyall dosbox in Fedora a "sudo yum install dosbox" is enough. Maybe you want to add that.
RomKnight

Postby Zombie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:42 am

Yeah, Under Mandriva, the command to install things is done by urpmi. so for example, mednafen would be sudo urpmi mednafen
Zombie

Postby codefenix » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:01 am

RomKnight wrote:to imstyall dosbox in Fedora a "sudo yum install dosbox" is enough. Maybe you want to add that.

Added! I've never used Fedora before, so thanks for the tip.

Zombie wrote:The Super Game Boy games are SUPPOSED to look like how they are supposed to look like. They are supposed to be in color, and playing them in Classic game boy mode cheapens the experience.

Point taken. Super Game Boy then certainly falls under the "one and only option" rule for MESS (it's easy to overlook the Super Game Boy as its own platform, when it was marketed more as an add-on accessory, like a Game Genie). The Game Boy Classic, however, is still a black and white system, and doesn't require MESS's colorization to emulate it. It's a mere nicety.

I've updated the Platform page with some placeholders (in red) for some of the mentioned systems. The others will have to wait until we have fully documented confirmed configurations. By the way, I winced a little when I added Virtual Boy, but hell, somebody might be interested in it someday...
codefenix

Postby Zombie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:21 am

Mednafen supports Virtual Boy. I use it. Really, Mednafen needs to support Super Game Boy.
Zombie

Postby zagadka » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi, i really like that wiki. Thanks a lot. I could add some own stuff. e.g. a modified atari800 source for standard mame keys as a Atari 5200 emulator - esc exit, 1 start, 2 reset, aso. ; modified UAE source; a couple of scripts that sends/converts any exit key (combination) from your standard exit key. With this scripts the exit key(s) combination of an emulator doesn t matter anymore. Works very well.
zagadka

Postby sairuk » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:24 am

zagadka wrote:Hi, i really like that wiki. Thanks a lot. I could add some own stuff. e.g. a modified atari800 source for standard mame keys as a Atari 5200 emulator - esc exit, 1 start, 2 reset, aso. ; modified UAE source; a couple of scripts that sends/converts any exit key (combination) from your standard exit key. With this scripts the exit key(s) combination of an emulator doesn t matter anymore. Works very well.

You may email wahkisubmit _at_ gmail.com with submission for the time being if you like.
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:41 am

What branch of UAE? PUAE? EUAE? Regular UAE?
Zombie

Postby zagadka » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:27 pm

sairuk wrote:You may email wahkisubmit _at_ gmail.com with submission for the time being if you like.
Many thanks.

Zombie wrote:What branch of UAE? PUAE? EUAE? Regular UAE?
e-uae-0.8.29-WIP4

i set up a (temporary) site here http://www.dallaslive.de/vdr/projects/retro-consoles/wahcade for Wah!ki .
zagadka

Postby Zombie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:44 am

Have you considered getting these patches committed upstream with their maintainers. Also, do you know of a patch to fix the SDL 1.2.14 bug running 32 bit applications on 64 bit platforms?
Zombie

Next

Return to Wah!Cade