Ideas and thoughts

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Re: Ideas and thoughts

Postby Zombie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:51 pm

This could also be useful when it comes to "Alternate Launching behavior" of certain Emulators.

Examples Currently:
Press 1: Launch rom image on Hard Drive
Press 9: Launch CD media in removable CD Drive.

Could be

Press Start: Launch rom image on Hard Drive
Press Hold L2 and Press Start: Launch CD media in removable CD Drive.
Zombie

Postby sairuk » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:59 am

use exit_game.mp3 with commit 98
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby laxdragon » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:50 pm

sairuk wrote:use exit_game.mp3 with commit 98

Yep that works. There is a slight delay when returning from the game before the sound plays.

With commit 100, the sounds repeat now, but yeah, it is pretty unstable. I had a few segfaults when testing. Getting close though. Nice work!
laxdragon

Postby Zombie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:15 pm

So should I wait for some code cleanups?
Zombie

Postby laxdragon » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:26 pm

codefenix wrote:If you're interested in a "pretty" frontend on Linux with a curved list, try Googling "Cabrio FE". It's a pretty promising frontend with all the frills you mention, but it's pretty buggy and not as customizable at this point.

Looks nice, but it was more than I was thinking. My thought was less dramatic on the curve. It is more of an indented curve, instead of the items rotating away from the center. I also wasn't thinking of using images, just text. Something akin to this:

Code: Select all
item
  item
    - selected item
  item
item

Where you set the depth of the selected item, and the others go in or out from it. Combine that with a text opacity gradient so the text fades out away from the center, and it will look plenty slick. Maybe even font scaling, so it sizes down away from the center selection.

Also, with the theme I am working on, it would be nice if there was a way to set the selection bar background color to transparent. I'm designing the bar into the background itself, having wahcade draw the bar gets in the way.
laxdragon

Postby Zombie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:23 am

How stable is the sound effect code? I'm wanting to check out a new bzr, but am afraid too.
Zombie

Postby sairuk » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:30 am

Zombie wrote:How stable is the sound effect code? I'm wanting to check out a new bzr, but am afraid too.

its relatively stable for me, i cannot get it to die atm, although the playback isn't as clean as I would like.

you can execute the following to check out any level of the code if you do try it though (replace 90 with commit number)
bzr pull -r 90 --overwrite
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:12 am

A few bugs I found. When returning from a game, the music does not resume playback. If for some reason a Rom fails to run, WahCade becomes unresponsive.
Zombie

Postby sairuk » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:07 am

Zombie wrote:A few bugs I found. When returning from a game, the music does not resume playback. If for some reason a Rom fails to run, WahCade becomes unresponsive.

Ta, both already known and have been present for a while. I am yet to find a fix. The music problem seems to be intermittent
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:33 am

I can manually restart the music with Play next track
Zombie

Postby sairuk » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:49 am

Zombie wrote:I can manually restart the music with Play next track

Music problem should be fixed in next commit; dunno what to do about the lock up. I was getting it on one machine (HTPC) with other builds. I cannot recreate it in my development vm. Will have to try and recreate it on the htpc and debug it blindly.
sairuk

Postby laxdragon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:00 pm

I updated to 101. I'm still seeing crashes. This is what I see. Now to reproduce this I need to go up and down the list several times fast.

(wahcade.py:31444): GStreamer-CRITICAL **:
Trying to dispose element playbin2inputselector644, but it is in PLAYING instead of the NULL state.
You need to explicitly set elements to the NULL state before
dropping the final reference, to allow them to clean up.
This problem may also be caused by a refcounting bug in the
application or some element.

Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Segmentation Fault
/usr/local/bin/wahcade: line 4: 31444 Aborted                 python wahcade.py $*
laxdragon

Postby sairuk » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:13 pm

laxdragon wrote:I updated to 101. I'm still seeing crashes. This is what I see. Now to reproduce this I need to go up and down the list several times fast.

(wahcade.py:31444): GStreamer-CRITICAL **:
Trying to dispose element playbin2inputselector644, but it is in PLAYING instead of the NULL state.
You need to explicitly set elements to the NULL state before
dropping the final reference, to allow them to clean up.
This problem may also be caused by a refcounting bug in the
application or some element.

Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Segmentation Fault
/usr/local/bin/wahcade: line 4: 31444 Aborted                 python wahcade.py $*

Thanks, that is helpful. I thought this might occur with the current implementation of the threads and large lists. I guess i may not be seeing It because I am developing mahcade in a vm on an i7 w/16gb ram and perhaps it doesn't trip up as easily as a lower spec machine. The vm is configured with 4 cores / 9gb ram, I will lower the spec of the vm and see if I can reproduce it. I need to learn more about threading correctly. All this is a learning experience hence experimental on the branch :mrgreen:
sairuk

Postby laxdragon » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:41 am

sairuk wrote:I am developing mahcade in a vm on an i7 w/16gb ram

Nice specs! My machine is not that good, but I am running a 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo with 8gb ram. I'm also running Debian Squeeze with some packages from backports. So, I'm well aware that my gstreamer and alsa packages are quite old now. But, the machine is very stable normally.
laxdragon

Postby Zombie » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:44 pm

The the way, I have paitches that correct downstream issues on Mandriva systems. These patches reset the path for launch scripts from /usr/local/share to /usr/share to conform with Mandriva policy. But, I would like to see a configurable install stage parameter that autogenerates the launcher scripts.
Zombie

PreviousNext

Return to Wah!Cade