Wah!Ki Updates & Changes

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Re: Wah!Ki Updates & Changes

Postby sairuk » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:40 am

Zombie wrote:To that end, I suggest we have a section for:
WahCade Cabinet and how to setup stuff for Mame Cabinets
WahCade Console and how to setup stuff for Mame Consoles

i don't particulary understand the point of this clarification since it is based on the users own customisation of their system that dictates the end result. The detailing of the software and hardware configurations should be made available in an organised fashion so the users of whaki can locate the the topic/item they are looking to add to whatever setup they are running. For myself I have multiple Wah!Cade setup configs, I have a cabinet, htpc, 'console' both linux & windows which each the only thing that really changes is the control interface for the user.

I suggest an alternative. Use the categories function to add a "Console Friendly" or "<Control Style>" category to each of the software pages which links up to the particular hardware item, as you say WiiMotes, X360 (evil) controllers etc. Using categories will dynamically build a page which can be made partially static with further clarifications as required.

Dynamic Catergory Example: http://wahki.mameau.com/index.php?title ... ry:800x480
Static Category Example: http://wahki.mameau.com/index.php?title ... :1920x1080
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby codefenix » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:56 am

Zombie wrote:I know that HTPC setups have been discussed, but I think the vernacular should be changed to "Console" since that is what this would be. I consider my setup to be a Gaming console, not an HTPC as it does not record movies, and since WahCade really isn't MythTV or XBMC, stand alone computers that look like "Box connected to TV" should be thought of as "Console".

Think about builds beyond your own, and realize that generic terms are better for the wiki.

If you were to ask me, "HTPC" is the more generic of the two terms. A home theater PC is simply a PC that connects to your TV and serves multiple media functions: streaming TV, movies, DVD playback, gaming, and more. It might do all of these things. It might do only one. It doesn't necessarily need to record movies in order to be classified as an HTPC.

When I hear the term "console", what comes to mind is something specifically manufactured to play games, whether by a company or by you. Because you've mentioned that your build was made to handle gaming and little else, then calling yours a console suffices for you. However, it's an HTPC at its core because it runs on an OS and is capable of much more.

Now I realize I've oversimplified what a console is, but honestly, I think we're splitting hairs on the difference between a console and a HTPC anyway. But as long as we're being technical (and since you brought it up), a console is a specific type of HTPC. Again, as I've established why HTPC is the more generic of the two terms, I believe HTPC is the term that should be used on the wiki.
codefenix

Postby Zombie » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:18 pm

Let me explain. A Mame Cabinet is usually in a fixed position and has a static monitor connected to it. The controls are integrated into the computer by something like an iPAC.

A Console/HTPC has greater complications to it.

My Mame Console has:

VGA video output and Analogue out OR HDMI A/V out. Now suppose I take the console to a friends house and his TV Has no HDMI. What am I to do? Well I currently have to sit with a laptop and reconfigure X and my asound.conf file to use the VGA output. I'd rather the console be able to detect the usage of the VGA or HDMI.

Controllers are another ball of wax. Only those controllers that are generic HID really work. Wiimotes, XBox 360, and PS3 Controllers require unique scripts to get them to work properly. I currently have no solution to this issue. I'd like clean documented solutions to resolve this problems.
Zombie

Postby sairuk » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:11 am

reCaptcha added to site, if you have confirmed your email you should not be prompted during edits.
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby codefenix » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:03 am

I move we turn off open user account creation. By now, no doubt, everyone who wants an account has made one. Besides Zombie, it's been nothing but bots and spammers, even after activating the captcha.
codefenix

Postby sairuk » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:54 am

codefenix wrote:I move we turn off open user account creation. By now, no doubt, everyone who wants an account has made one. Besides Zombie, it's been nothing but bots and spammers, even after activating the captcha.

I have added an additional level of spam filtering/lookup/blocking to the wiki beyond reCaptcha. Will see how this goes
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:08 am

I hope you aren't doing something that will deactivate my account. I have additional content to upload.
Zombie

Postby sairuk » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:27 am

Zombie wrote:I hope you aren't doing something that will deactivate my account. I have additional content to upload.

let me know if you have any issues. You shouldn't unless you have been blacklisted as a spammer with honeypot
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:22 pm

I'd like to add actual hardware examples of WahCade hardware (Cabinets and Consoles) to WahKi. Is this alright?
Zombie

Postby sairuk » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:05 pm

Zombie wrote:I'd like to add actual hardware examples of WahCade hardware (Cabinets and Consoles) to WahKi. Is this alright?

You have an account, its a wiki ... knock yourself out. We can all re-jig later if the fit doesn't seem right .... that is the nature of the wiki imo. I would only suggest you be mindful of mine and codefenix's comments above when proceeding.
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:27 am

I'm better organizing the Wah!Ki and adding new platforms because I have updated emulators now.
Zombie

Postby codefenix » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:17 pm

Always good to see updates. Be careful when listing Mednafen as an emulator though. Don't forget we have the "common" Mednafen page as well as platform-specific Mednafen pages, much like MESS. Bios requirements usually merit unique pages. Also, the SuperGrafx link is labeled for PCEngine/TurboGrafx.
codefenix

Postby Zombie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:55 pm

I know, I'm not done with it yet.
Zombie

Previous

Return to Wah!Cade