xmame .106 on Lubuntu 11.10

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

xmame .106 on Lubuntu 11.10

Postby mczuzlak » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:26 pm

I've build my arcade cab about 4 years ago. It's Windows based (tiny XP) and I've just learned about the low hardware requirements of Lubuntu.
As my PC has an old AMD CPU I need an old mame version like xmame 106. My problem is though that I can't get it run on Lubuntu 11.10.
When I try to install the file xmame-x_0.106-3.2ubuntu1_i386.deb I get this :
Code: Select all
 Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: xmame-common (>= 0.106-3.2)

Then I try to install the file xmame-common_0.106-3.2_all.deb and I get this :
Code: Select all
 Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: xmame|xmess


I really don'know how to solve this as I have very limited linux knowledge but I'm shure you guys can help me here.

And sorry for beeing a little bit offtopic. Wah!Cade is great. I've succesfully set it up with the newest mame but it was a bit choppy for my old CPU.

I would really need some help though with xmame .106

Thank you in advance !
mczuzlak
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: xmame .106 on Lubuntu 11.10

Postby Zombie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:59 pm

sdlmame is very finicky. You may just not be setting it up right.
User avatar
Zombie
 
Posts: 791
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: xmame .106 on Lubuntu 11.10

Postby codefenix » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:34 am

Zombie wrote:sdlmame is very finicky. You may just not be setting it up right.

Image


Hi, mczuzlak. I also use XMame in my cab because it's lighter on resources. I noticed the same problems you did the last time I tried to install the default package out of the repos. So instead I'm using xmame-x (0.106-2.1), available here: http://packages.debian.org/lenny/xmame-x. I'm not sure why 3.2 doesn't play nicely with *Ubuntu 11.04+, but 2.1 seems just fine. Give it a try and report back.
User avatar
codefenix
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:45 pm
Location: USA

Re: xmame .106 on Lubuntu 11.10

Postby mczuzlak » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:48 am

codefenix wrote:
Zombie wrote:sdlmame is very finicky. You may just not be setting it up right.

Image


Hi, mczuzlak. I also use XMame in my cab because it's lighter on resources. I noticed the same problems you did the last time I tried to install the default package out of the repos. So instead I'm using xmame-x (0.106-2.1), available here: http://packages.debian.org/lenny/xmame-x. I'm not sure why 3.2 doesn't play nicely with *Ubuntu 11.04+, but 2.1 seems just fine. Give it a try and report back.


Thx but it seems with 2.1 I get the same Dependeny error about xmame-common :(
mczuzlak
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: xmame .106 on Lubuntu 11.10

Postby codefenix » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:55 am

Did you try the xmame-common (0.106-2.1) package? http://packages.debian.org/lenny/xmame-common
User avatar
codefenix
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:45 pm
Location: USA

Re: xmame .106 on Lubuntu 11.10

Postby mczuzlak » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:22 pm

codefenix wrote:Did you try the xmame-common (0.106-2.1) package? http://packages.debian.org/lenny/xmame-common


Yes I did, but I get the same error :(
mczuzlak
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: xmame .106 on Lubuntu 11.10

Postby codefenix » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:56 pm

And you're absolutely sure you're trying 2.1 and not 3.2? And the Debian package, not the Ubuntu one?

EDIT:
Definitely try installing xmess. It's reporting xmess as a dependency. A while back I installed xmess to do some testing. That's why it's working for me. Go to Ubuntu Software Center, search for "xmess", and install it. Then search for "xmame", and install that too.
User avatar
codefenix
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:45 pm
Location: USA

Re: xmame .106 on Lubuntu 11.10

Postby mczuzlak » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:31 pm

codefenix wrote:And you're absolutely sure you're trying 2.1 and not 3.2? And the Debian package, not the Ubuntu one?

EDIT:
Definitely try installing xmess. It's reporting xmess as a dependency. A while back I installed xmess to do some testing. That's why it's working for me. Go to Ubuntu Software Center, search for "xmess", and install it. Then search for "xmame", and install that too.


Thx mate ! That was the problem. I've installed xmess (and xmess-common) too. Both gave the some error. But after that the installation of xmame went fine at least :P

Sadly I have now a new problem. If I start a game xmame runs in a small window. (from Wahcade or just simple from terminal all the same).
I've tried with -fullscreen but the screen was not streched it stayed just as small but now everything outside the game screen was black.

Any suggestions ?
mczuzlak
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: xmame .106 on Lubuntu 11.10

Postby codefenix » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:49 pm

Glad you got it working!

You've installed, but haven't configured xmame yet, which is why you're getting the small window. The fullscreen option only works in certain video modes; the default mode doesn't support it. You need to modify your settings file. The default location should be in the /etc/xmame folder. Or just make a copy of this file that you can edit without root permissions:
Code: Select all
xmame -showconfig > ~/.xmame/xmamerc

Then open the ~/.xmame/xmamerc file and look for x11 or x11-mode. Is the number next to it a 0? If so, change it to 1. Try to run it again.

Pull up more details on this and other settings:
Code: Select all
man xmame
User avatar
codefenix
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:45 pm
Location: USA

Re: xmame .106 on Lubuntu 11.10

Postby mczuzlak » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:51 pm

Exacty what I needed ! Thx again for your time mate :P
mczuzlak
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: xmame .106 on Lubuntu 11.10

Postby codefenix » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:16 pm

Happy to help. 8)
User avatar
codefenix
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:45 pm
Location: USA


Return to Wah!Cade

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron