[Show Boating] My New Custom Skins

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

[Show Boating] My New Custom Skins

Postby codefenix » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

I decided to make some more custom skins, breaking away from the traditional Emuchrist-style layouts. Here is what I've come up with. Please feel free to criticize.

MAME

Control panel viewer

History viewer

NES

SNES

Genesis

Atari 2600

DOS
codefenix

Re: [Show Boating] My New Custom Skins

Postby Zombie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:32 am

I love your skin work and might actually consider switching too them to change things up, its just that you would have to make skins for the obscure ones too.
Zombie

Postby codefenix » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:43 am

I'm absolutely open to requests. Just name the system, the resolution you want, and any other specifics you have in mind.
codefenix

Postby Zombie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:44 am

We'd have to reproduce the entire EmuChrist Collections. Including the custom ones that were done like Wii, FDS, Apple II, and Amstrad. Because I use all those as my systems are under constant development. I picked EmuChrist because they all look the same/uniform. Even the EmuChrist Color collection is not as Comprehensive.
Zombie

Postby codefenix » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:55 am

Well, that will take some time, but I'm up for it. All I ask is patience while they turn out. Do you have any systems in mind that should take priority, or should I just begin at the "A"s? Resolutions?
codefenix

Postby sairuk » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:04 am

Sweet skins mate, I especially like the bottom row of buttons for start game, etc. Can I grab those off you for mine? I was looking for some a while back.

Are you using the 'empty artwork' trick for the artwork differences between systems? Layout-wise it is the most efficient way.
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:11 am

I've been using Commodore Amiga to test out a new emulator called FS-UAE. I've been doing tons of re-mapping and reconfiguring in DOSBox, and I've been packaging alot of Linux games from the Linux game tome, as I make lists of what is and is not Joypad compatible.
Zombie

Postby codefenix » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:02 pm

sairuk wrote:Sweet skins mate, I especially like the bottom row of buttons for start game, etc. Can I grab those off you for mine? I was looking for some a while back.

Are you using the 'empty artwork' trick for the artwork differences between systems? Layout-wise it is the most efficient way.

Thanks! The buttons are the same as those used for the control panel viewer. They came from a clip art sheet, I forget where from. Either BYOAC or Progetto or someplace. I'll upload them to the Wah!Ki later this evening.

I'm not using the empty artwork trick. These are just static skins, made in Paint.NET using the same method used in my guide. This method is already a huge time saver, as all I have to do to make a new skin is change out the bottom-most layer, logo, and (optionally) the console icon, then save the result to a JPG. It's a trade off: either do the layout rendering at runtime, or simply display a pre-rendered layout. I think the latter option uses less overhead.

Zombie wrote:I've been using Commodore Amiga to test out a new emulator called FS-UAE. I've been doing tons of re-mapping and reconfiguring in DOSBox, and I've been packaging alot of Linux games from the Linux game tome, as I make lists of what is and is not Joypad compatible.

So.. Amiga, DOS, and Linux first, then? Resolutions??
codefenix

Postby Zombie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:44 pm

640x480
Zombie

Postby codefenix » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:12 am

Here are some first drafts. I used two different Amiga logos. For the DOS one, I used the same as the one in the first post, but removed the IBM and DOSBox logos and the buttons at the bottom.

layout_cc_amiga_1.jpg

layout_cc_amiga_2.jpg

layout_cc_dos.jpg

layout_cc_linux.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
codefenix

Postby Zombie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:36 am

Damn I wish I had your talent.
Zombie

Postby codefenix » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:45 am

Thanks, but to be honest, I'm a hack. :lol: Most of the backdrops I use I find on Google image search. It's really all about layer management.
codefenix

Postby Zombie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:05 am

Would you create a section of the Wah!Ki for example completed hardware projects and put information about your specific WahCade project hardware and software on it? I'm going to do the same.
Zombie

Postby codefenix » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:26 pm

I don't have any plans to document my project on the Wah!Ki, since I've already documented it in my Picasa album. And is Wah!Ki really the best place to showcase completed projects? I don't know. That seems more like what the BYOAC site is for. I wouldn't want any of their members to view it as reinventing the wheel, the fact that they need to update their broken links notwithstanding.

Also, this is really off-topic in this thread.
codefenix

Postby General_Faliure » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:18 pm

They look great, i will use some of them.

Thanks.
My Arcade cab: https://goo.gl/photos/yE1KACHryQjCaaCj7
Core 2 duo 8400 @3600, 4 gig mem, Geforce 9500. Mame, Mess, Daphne, and some more.
Mah!cade
General_Faliure

Next

Return to Wah!Cade