W[M]ahCade - Installing themes is not easy or fun.

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

W[M]ahCade - Installing themes is not easy or fun.

Postby Zombie » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:49 am

Installing MahCade/WahCade themes is not easy or fun, or consistent. The fact is the .lay files and naming conventions of the themes make downloading and setting up themes and emulators a very messy business. So, for MahCade I want to suggest something.

Lets make blocks of themes stored in Unix Tarballs. such as: emuchrist/nes.tar.bz2, and emuchrist/genesis.tar.bz2 and using aria2c, curl, or wget. It would download our prescribed optimal layout configuration as a "block" (emuchrist, codefenix_customs, retro, etc.) with an optimal layout for every working platform we have.

The rationale for this is that I have spent untold hours configuring, adjusting, reseting, and fixing theme .lay files. The lay files and the naming conventions for the emuchrist layouts in particular are all messed up. The zips contained have names that would over write one another, sometimes they contain Windows path names that aren't valid in Unix based OSes.

This also solves the problem of the package managers for these Linux based OSes using different package managers. The files are all downloaded as ordinary tars to the user's home directory.

This is necessary because I only want to have to go through and define a .lay file for a given platform theme ONCE. Not repeatedly.

I'm not suggesting that we take away the 'User Defined' ability of a user to download and specify his or her own themes. That should remain an option. But if a user opts for a block of themes, all the platforms that WahCade supports should be covered. Even the "Unofficial" EmuChrist themes created by CPViewer.

CodeFenix will hate me for this, but, this would also mean that every EmuChrist Platform covered would need a CodeFenix Customs, and Retro equivalent.

And of course, I will delightfully upload my .lay files when a lay repository is created.
Zombie

Re: MahCade - Installing themes is not easy or fun.

Postby sairuk » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:09 am

Knock yourself out, not something i'd use personally (or particularly see a use for) and something you have suggested before.

I've added upload support on wahki for bz2/gz file extensions. lay files were already supported

There is a 2mb upload limit on the server though.

**** You should Never use absolute paths in layout files when releasing them, although it is the default in Mamewah (haven't checked wahcade.)

I modified the title to accurately reflect the situation, as the theme suggestion applies to both W/M
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Re: W[M]ahCade - Installing themes is not easy or fun.

Postby Zombie » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:23 pm

I've seen paths in the emuchrist layout that have C:\Mamewah etc etc.

Mine tend to have /opt/var/public/mamewah...

The thing is the primary background is usually called main.jpg, so, for say, supernintendo, the path to the background would be

/opt/var/public/emuchrist/supernintendo_bw/main.jpg

This is what Linux packagers call "badness". You aren't supposed to have explicit paths.
Zombie

Postby codefenix » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:54 pm

I fail to see how tarballing layouts simplifies any part of the theme creation process. If anything, it makes it more complicated. I think it assumes much and, at the same time, leaves too much uncovered. For instance, we haven't even considered the user's desktop resolution yet, and everyone uses something different. I'm not about to make a skin for each possible resolution and every known platform, and then package them with a LAY file into Unix tarballs. This is an enormously tedious and redundant task, and it's likely that most of the finished packaged tarballs would go unused, since most users aren't necessarily trying to emulate every known console and may not necessarily care for the look of the skin packaged for it. Sorry, but I just can't see the gain here.

I think it's best that we continue to use Wah!Ki as a repository for the layout skins alone, and let users use them how they may. I'm also happy to continue designing layouts for the remaining systems, including taking requests.

Zombie wrote:CodeFenix will hate me for this

No Zomb, I don't hate ya! It's clear that you want Wah!Cade to become something better, but I think efforts can be better allocated.
codefenix

Postby Zombie » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:47 pm

Excellent point.
Zombie

Return to Wah!Cade