Wah!Cade running on a PS3 Linux OS

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Wah!Cade running on a PS3 Linux OS

Postby Potts » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:44 pm

Has any one tried running Wah!Cade on the PS3 - it can be done to some extent I am sure but I don't know whether joysticks and interface cards are supported etc.

Something like this = http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?p=176

My plan is to run the UltiMarc 360 stiks on the PS3 but I could just be dreaming.

any suggestions would be appreciated :)

cheers
Potts
Potts

Postby kit-chen » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:47 pm

i'm running ubuntu with wah!cade and xmame.SDL on my ps3, and so far everything is working great with some hiccups.

i'm on .20, haven't grabbed the latest tarball yet - since everything is working so far i'm loathe to mess with it.

the ps3 controller worked just fine, i had to apt-get some junk to get joysticks in general to work - but that isn't ps3 specific, so the ubuntu forums can help you.

two gotchas:
  • xmame has to run as root (sudo xmame ...etc) to get the axis to work properly on the ps3 joystick. i don't know why, but i think it's an ubuntu problem not a mame problem. i just made a launcher for wah!cade that runs "sudo wahcade" and that solved my problem. slightly annoying, but i can't think of a better way.
  • the SIXAXIS bluetooth doesn't work, so you have to plug it in with a USB cable.
  • you have to use some commandline options in xmame.SDL to get joysticks working. set -dev to /dev/input/js, and some other stuff.

i haven't set up joy2key to get joystick support for wah!cade menus going, so i still have to grab my wireless keyboard to navigate menus. the manpage for joy2key SUCKS. if anybody has had any success with this (ps3 or not) please do post any hints you have.

i'll try to followup with more detail once i get it all running.

as it stands though, i'm really happy. i can play games with ps3 controller, my wife prefers keyboard games, so she can use the keyboard. we can play 2 player stuff. it rules!

$600 game machine.
$700 television.
playing a game from 1986... PRICELESS
kit-chen

Re: Wah!Cade running on a PS3 Linux OS

Postby qianan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:43 am

xmame has to run as root (sudo xmame ...etc) to get the axis to work properly on the ps3 joystick. i don't know why, but i think it's an ubuntu problem not a mame problem. i just made a launcher for wah!cade that runs "sudo wahcade" and that solved my problem. slightly annoying, but i can't think of a better way.

---------------------------------------
xbox 360 key PS3 Jailbreak hack wifi
qianan

Postby sairuk » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:09 am

http://thezerogameproject.com/

The ZeroGame project is a PS3 linux specific setup.
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:15 pm

As long as whatever your controllers are conform to USB HID you should be okay. There is a way to get Wiimotes and XBox360 ccontrollers working, but it is time consuming and painful.
Zombie

Postby billb » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:17 pm

sairuk wrote:http://thezerogameproject.com/

The ZeroGame project is a PS3 linux specific setup.

It's not apparent from the site (which hasn't been updated in a while), but I've been continuing development on the project since zerojay had to quit working on it. We're up to 40 supported platforms now and it's completely installed from RPM packages I'm hosting (as well as the ps3bodega repo for YDL 6.2). :mrgreen:

I've been posting the latest stuff I'm working on with it on my own forums instead since the zerogameproject site is so outdated (aside from the forums). The subforum is here at forums.ps3bodega.com.

We're using mame, xmame.SDL, mednafen, vice, jzintv, mess, snes9x-gtk, xe, stella, hatari, and uae. Plus a custom version of scummvm for the Sixaxis and a few other Linux games...
billb

Postby Zombie » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:51 am

You might be interested in my project then, I created a Linux based Console that is just an x86_64 computer with WahCade.
Zombie

Postby billb » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:22 am

Sure -- sounds great! Working within the limitations of PS3 Linux has been oddly "fun" for me, but there are some things it simply cannot do.
billb

Postby Zombie » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:55 am

I have a few Youtube videos to show you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7UFiH-TJKQ Original form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVvvGGieIlA Latest Video.

he Mame Cabinet is now a dedicated node, running on an Nvidia ION. It supports all three fist party controller types. (PS3, Xbox360, Wiimotes.)

New platforms are supported, and existing platforms have improved. Wiimotes function as Light Guns. The Classic Controller, PS3 Six Axis works for all 24 Axis, and XBox 360 Daemon mode is supported, and the proper LED's light up.

New platforms include the Atari 8-bit line of computers (such as the 400 and 800, and 600XL) along with Atari ST support. There is now Analogue support for "Paddle controllers" under Atari 2600 Stella. And as you can see, even Super Mario RPG functions at full speed on this console.

Dos and Wine support are much improved.

The Magnavox CRT was replaced by a Hisense 32 inch flat screen. It connects via HDMI. The whole thing is in an XBox 360 case now. It has less CPU power than my workstation did, but it does fine.

The visuals are improved by OpenGL Bilinear filtering. creating a smoothing effect over what would be normally very pixelated games.

OS is now Mandriva 2010.2 (Kernel 2.6.36.4)

SDLMame Revision is 0.142u3
WahCade revision is 0.99pre8

Future upgrades will be for the support of Compact Flash (CF) and SDIO cards in the memory card ports.
Zombie

Postby billb » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:29 am

That's great stuff! If you're anything like me, I bet you have as much fun working on that project as you do playing the games. ;)

We were looking at using atari800-sdl but had some trouble with it -- I might have some questions for you later, but I suppose that's for a different topic.
billb

Postby Zombie » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:33 am

atari800-sdl is really picky. What I really want to get working is XE Emulator for FM Towns support.

Other trouble emulation platforms:
Sharp X68000
Amiga
Atari Jaguar.
Zombie

Postby billb » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Just tried FM Towns using XE on the PS3 this morning -- even without trying to load a game the sound is choppy and it's very slow. MESS was able to load an X68K game but that also ran too slowly -- about 25% speed with 10/10 frameskipping.

The Amiga setup I have works pretty well -- using e-uae which I've patched for (very crude) mouse support using the Sixaxis. Games that run from multiple floppies and don't support multiple floppy drives are kind of a pain since you have to change disks manually.

Atari Jaguar -- the closest I got to anything useful was running a game on xmess and even then it had no sound.
billb

Postby Zombie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:24 am

I'm interested in your e-UAE patches and build.
Zombie

Postby billb » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:28 am

For e-uae 0.8.29-WIP4 (from http://www.rcdrummond.net/uae/), this is for Sixaxis support:

Code: Select all
--- src/inputdevice.c.orig      2010-08-31 23:13:15.000000000 -0400
+++ src/inputdevice.c   2010-09-01 07:21:53.000000000 -0400
@@ -1557,10 +1557,27 @@
     if (joy >= 0) {
        joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_AXIS_OFFSET + 0][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_HORIZ;
        joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_AXIS_OFFSET + 1][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_VERT;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_AXIS_OFFSET + 2][0] = INPUTEVENT_MOUSE1_HORIZ;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_AXIS_OFFSET + 3][0] = INPUTEVENT_MOUSE1_VERT;
        used[joy] = 1;
-       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 0][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_FIRE_BUTTON;
-       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 1][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_2ND_BUTTON;
-       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 2][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_3RD_BUTTON;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 14][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_FIRE_BUTTON;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 13][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_2ND_BUTTON;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 12][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_3RD_BUTTON;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 16][0] = INPUTEVENT_SPC_QUIT;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 1][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY1_FIRE_BUTTON;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 2][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY1_2ND_BUTTON;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 10][0] = INPUTEVENT_KEY_F1;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 8][0] = INPUTEVENT_KEY_F2;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 11][0] = INPUTEVENT_KEY_F3;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 9][0] = INPUTEVENT_KEY_F4;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 3][0] = INPUTEVENT_SPC_PAUSE;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 0][0] = INPUTEVENT_SPC_FLOPPY0;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 7][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_LEFT;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 5][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_RIGHT;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 4][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_UP;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 6][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_DOWN;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 15][0] = INPUTEVENT_KEY_SPACE;
+
 #ifdef CD32
        if (cd32_enabled)
            setcd32 (joy, 1);
@@ -1571,32 +1588,80 @@
     joy = jsem_isjoy (0, prefs);
     if (joy >= 0) {
        used[joy] = 1;
-       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_AXIS_OFFSET + 0][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY1_HORIZ;
-       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_AXIS_OFFSET + 1][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY1_VERT;
-       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 0][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY1_FIRE_BUTTON;
-       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 1][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY1_2ND_BUTTON;
-       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 2][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY1_3RD_BUTTON;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_AXIS_OFFSET + 0][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_HORIZ;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_AXIS_OFFSET + 1][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_VERT;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_AXIS_OFFSET + 2][0] = INPUTEVENT_MOUSE1_HORIZ;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 14][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_FIRE_BUTTON;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 13][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_2ND_BUTTON;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 12][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_3RD_BUTTON;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 1][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY1_FIRE_BUTTON;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 2][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY1_2ND_BUTTON;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 0][0] = INPUTEVENT_SPC_FLOPPY0;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 5][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_RIGHT;
+       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 15][0] = INPUTEVENT_KEY_SPACE;
        joysticks[joy].enabled = 1;
     }

for (joy = 0; used[joy]; joy++);
     if (JSEM_ISANYKBD (0, prefs)) {
-       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_AXIS_OFFSET +  0][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY1_HORIZ;
-       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_AXIS_OFFSET +  1][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY1_VERT;
-       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 0][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY1_FIRE_BUTTON;
-       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 1][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY1_2ND_BUTTON;
-       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 2][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY1_3RD_BUTTON;
        joysticks[joy].enabled = 1;
        used[joy] = 1;
        compatibility_device[0] = joy;
     }
     for (joy = 0; used[joy]; joy++);
     if (JSEM_ISANYKBD (1, prefs)) {
-       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_AXIS_OFFSET +  0][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_HORIZ;
-       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_AXIS_OFFSET +  1][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_VERT;
-       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 0][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_FIRE_BUTTON;
-       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 1][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_2ND_BUTTON;
-       joysticks[joy].eventid[ID_BUTTON_OFFSET + 2][0] = INPUTEVENT_JOY2_3RD_BUTTON;
 #ifdef CD32
        if (cd32_enabled)
            setcd32 (joy, 1);

That gives these controls:

Up/Down/Left/Right (Joystick in Port 2) -- Left analog stick & D-pad
    Mouse (Mouse in Port 1) -- Right analog stick
    Left Click -- L3
    Right Click -- R3
    Fire 1 -- X
    Fire 2 -- O
    Fire 3 -- Triangle (most Amiga games only use 1-2 fire buttons though)
    Space -- Square
    F1 - L1 (the Function keys are commonly used to change settings / start games / configure trainers)
    F2 - L2
    F3 - R1
    F4 - R2
    Pause - Start
    Exit - PS
    Change disk in drive 0 - Select

A few other patches are applied, but mostly what was already included from packagers of the source RPM I used. Here's a link to the source RPM which includes the patches applied and build options (in .spec file):

http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/ps3li ... dg.src.rpm

Instead of launching e-uae directly we launch from a script which helps deal with games that use multiple floppies:
Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash

# uae-launch.sh
###############################################################
# This script is used to launch the e-uae
# emulator with certain command line options.
##############################################################

# emulator binary
UAE_BIN=uae

# determine the last argument which is assumed to be the game's name
eval DISK=\$$#

# games that span multiple disks must be named [gamename].adf,
# [gamename].adf.2, [gamename].adf.3, [gamename]adf.4
# since we're not using a GUI and can't change them manually
DISK2=$DISK.2
DISK3=$DISK.3
DISK4=$DISK.4

# launch the game
$UAE_BIN -f /home/zerogame/.uae/.uaerc-amiga500 -s floppy0="$DISK" -s floppy1="$DISK2" -s floppy2="$DISK3" -s floppy3="$DISK4"

The config files for uae are attached. One setting that helped a lot on speed was enabling "immediate blits" in the config file (though speed is probably not an issue on your system ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billb

Postby Zombie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:22 am

how is the emulator speed wise?
Zombie

Next

Return to Wah!Cade