Retrode Support

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Retrode Support

Postby Zombie » Wed May 23, 2012 7:41 pm

I am purchasing a Retrode. Retrodes make cartridge media appear as USB mass storage device containing the cartridge ROM file. The tricky part is how to give WahCade support for this. Normally, it would involve mounting the USB Mass storage unit, and copying the rom file to the directory.

Doing this would require a udev rule to automatically mount the Retrode and have script managed by Wahcade copy files.

An Alternative would be to setup the Retrode as an emulator type, and have mednafen launch whatever file The Generate list option says is in the port.

What do you think?
Zombie

Re: Retrode Support

Postby sairuk » Wed May 23, 2012 11:06 pm

This is outside the scope of Wah!Cade: a udev rule that automatically executes a shell/python script is all you should need. The script should determine emulator requirements from the file extension or mount point (depending on how retrode works). You could customise the script to read the emulators information from wahcade ini files if you want a centralised config but it wouldn't be something built into wahcade

on the flipside

A modification could be made to Wah!Cade which accepts command line arguments for "emulator name, rom name" it may then automatically switch to a screen in Wah!Cade via a udev rule which displays game history and artwork using the standard emulator Wah!Cade configuration then allows you to execute from the mount point.... not a small change but possible, i suggest you add a blueprint to the launchpad page.

Your main problem will be having the udev rule work 100% of the time
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Re: Retrode Support

Postby Zombie » Mon May 28, 2012 9:57 pm

I got my Retrode, and god damn, this thing is finicky as hell. The device can make mistakes and think that Genesis carts are Neo Geo Pocket Carts or that Super NES carts are Atari 2600 carts.
Zombie

Return to Wah!Cade