netplay MAME, we need a layout file

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

netplay MAME, we need a layout file

Postby zambr123 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:47 pm

Hi guys,

I have tried to get MAMEwah to work on Windows 7 without any success, which is no surprise because of it's age, lol. This was so I could go ahead and start designing a layout file for our FE.

As I have mentioned to Sairuk before, we are currently coding a netplay cabinet FE system based on Sairuk's code, and we are now at the stage to start testing with a suitable layout file (see our site for screen designs we wish to use https://sites.google.com/site/mamehubarrange/screens).

By chance, anyone able to make these for us? Any assistance would be great.

Thanks guys :)
zambr123

Re: netplay MAME, we need a layout file

Postby Zombie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:54 am

That's interesting because I am working on Mednafen Server integration.
Zombie

Postby codefenix » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:46 pm

zambr123 wrote:...we are now at the stage to start testing with a suitable layout file (see our site for screen designs we wish to use https://sites.google.com/site/mamehubarrange/screens). By chance, anyone able to make these for us? Any assistance would be great.

The request is confusing. You cite examples of designs you want to use, and then ask that someone make them for you. :?: If you want to use those designs... just use them.
codefenix

Postby Zombie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:18 am

We have a Network Games layout, and a Lan Play layout.
Zombie

Postby Zombie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:08 pm

You are bumping up against the design contraints of WahCade. WahCade needs to be updated to keep pace with HyperSpin, and MaLa.
Zombie

Postby zambr123 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:35 pm

Thanks for info guys, just to clarify.

- The mock up screens on our web site are mock up screens, as in not real. I just made those up in paint.
- I realise there are constraints, what we are after is something as close as you can get to this design, anything like that would be very useful for testing.
- Our coder is busy doing his own port of wahcade (as well as many other things in regards to the network engine), so any constraints can be over come later, but for now, something close to the design, would be a good start.
- Me wishes I was running Linux, lol
zambr123

Postby Zombie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:31 am

This looks like what I am trying to do.

My 'Mame Cabinet ' is actually a Mame Console. Rather, it looks like an Xbox 360, but what it really is, is a Pico ITX PC. It uses Street Fighter 4 "Fighting Pads" to play on, and can support PS3, Wiimote, and 360 Controllers. (but the Street Fighter 4 pads are the most ideal.) The idea behind it was to create a 'dream console' from my childhood. o far, at least for local play, it's worked quite well. WahCade helps deliver a solid, consistent, Graphically appealing, next generation like experience for classic games, and Linux games. Games exit with a Home button, just like they would on a Next Generation console. There are save states, and the controller detection is plenty Dynamic. (with some bugs.)

I don't know of any "Standard Peer to Peer" or "Client Server" architecture present in Mame. (Killerah is Closed source, and Windows only.)

Mednafen has Mednafen Server.
Supposedly SNES9x-gtk supports networking.
DOSBox has an IPX wrapper for IPX Enabled games.

However, I have other games that are "Game Pad Compatible" which means, they can be played with a game pad. These include:
Hexen II
Quake I
PrBoom (Doom I, Doom II, Final Doom)
D2x-XL (Descent I, II and Vertigo)

And really, what this permits is other Linux PCs to play online with my Mame Console.

But there really isn't a "Server Edition" Of WahCade that monitors and controls groups of PCs running WahCade. Even in a peer to peer capacity. There is a network layout for network games, but network games must be coordinated manually. (I can't tell WahCade in a Dynamic Capacity, using SQL, or LDAP: There is an Instance of Mednafen Server running at this IP address at this location, connect to it, and run this Rom.
Zombie

Postby sairuk » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:49 pm

With this project (MameHub/WahCade) crossover, what I hope too see is a lot of the current code streamlined, bugs fixed properly and the source available to be merged into the main project

I had a look at the mamehub source when this was first brought to me and its much better than what I do IMO but my time is limited (RL responsibilities) so i decided not to contribute past what I'm already working on available on launchpad and a few suggestions atm. That and I've only recently received proper net access back .....

As i see it there are a few options here;
1.) install MahCade in windows: http://wahki.mameau.com/index.php?title ... stallation (which should be missing key components like the lobby widget atm)
2.) wait and install MameHub/Wahcade in windows with the updated layout editor including lobby widget support and create the layout there
3.) install linux in virtualbox under windows and do either 1 or 2 in linux
4.) continue to try and get someone to make the layout with 1.)

personally I would suggest you do #2 otherwise you will have half an interface for your specific project. As I mentioned in one of gtalk conversations IMO for what you want to do you will need to add more widgets to the layout editor. The project may have gone a different way since we last spoke of which I am not aware.
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:13 am

This is Windows only. No sale. This is a terrible solution.
Zombie

Postby sairuk » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:17 am

Zombie wrote:This is Windows only. No sale. This is a terrible solution.

What is windows only? Mamehub is currently released for Windows,Linux and MAC ..... the OP uses windows himself.
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:48 am

Oh, well my thing is, I try and keep Windows related use to a minimum. It's my last resort for normal Emuators.
Zombie

Postby SpootDev » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:59 pm

Actually, figured I'd post to clear up a couple things Zambr123 posted. I'm the programmer behind the Mamehub fork which is called Mamehub Arrange (Cave fans should figure it out). :lol: The big changes are https://sites.google.com/site/mamehubarrange/current-changes and many other minor crap in my bug tracker.

I've not forked new code on Sairuk's work.....I was going for more PyGame instead of PyGTK atm.....for better or worse I guess. I have however looked at the load file code to have compatibility for layouts created in Wah!Cade which saves writing an editor. :wink:

And yes Zombie......Windows, Linux and MacOSX are being supported in my project. :lol:
SpootDev

Postby sairuk » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:55 pm

SpootDev wrote:I've not forked new code on Sairuk's work.....I was going for more PyGame instead of PyGTK atm.....for better or worse I guess.

Ahh thats news to me then, look forward to having a look at it when available. I wanted to to push mahcade over to pygame base but I haven't the time atm. I started playing around with the notion that F10, F11, F12 would switch between setup, editor and main screen during runtime ... no quiting out to modify setup or layout during runtime etc.

Maybe oneday
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:00 am

I am honestly more concerned about Quality Assurance issues. WahCade still has a bunch of little bugs I don't see getting fixed. Most of these bugs are like, you can't close the About screen with a joypad, the start button loops (WahCade only), and MahCade doesn't parse file names totally right. Lets fix the small bugs and THEN move on to the larger issues.
Zombie

Return to Wah!Cade