Livemamecab

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Livemamecab

Postby stealth » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:16 am

Hi all,

Numerous Livemamecab users are demanding changes, and I need help for that

1) Shutdown computer without mouse (only pad and buttons), somewhere in Mah!Cade
2) Add new emulators, but I need minimal change in my actual configuration because it's validated (no bug) for many users, and can I switch to mame/sness, for example, without keyboard or mouse ?

If you have any advice, please let me know
Thank
A little mamecab OS - Mah!Cade, mame , retroarch - Livemamecab
The live CD can be used for a quick demo or test, Download ISO
stealth

Re: Livemamecab

Postby sairuk » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:24 pm

stealth wrote:1) Shutdown computer without mouse (only pad and buttons), somewhere in Mah!Cade

A shutdown option is already available through the menu by pressing the "2" Key

2) Add new emulators, but I need minimal change in my actual configuration because it's validated (no bug) for many users, and can I switch to mame/sness, for example, without keyboard or mouse ?

Also available through the menu system, or you can configure a Key combination in the configuration window

Both are standard wahcade features
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:54 am

Again this is something I do already. There are only a few things I require a Keyboard and mouse for.

My CPU will not wake from suspend on a joypad event, only a mouse/keyboard event.
I have to launch a game with the keyboard because there is a looping bug in WahCade.

I have to SSH in if I want to pair a first party Xbox 360, PS3, or Wiimote. (for Zapper)
Everything else I can do with a Joypad.
Zombie

Postby stealth » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:31 am

Thank for your help

@sairuk "A shutdown option is already available through the menu by pressing the "2" Key" -> My problem is that the livemamecab usual usage is only mamecab cabinet and in this case there is no keyboard and no mouse

Sorry if my questions seem rather stupid but I am almost completely ignorant about mamecab and mahcade.
stealth

Postby stealth » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:47 am

Zombie wrote:Again this is something I do already. There are only a few things I require a Keyboard and mouse for.

My CPU will not wake from suspend on a joypad event, only a mouse/keyboard event.
I have to launch a game with the keyboard because there is a looping bug in WahCade.

I have to SSH in if I want to pair a first party Xbox 360, PS3, or Wiimote. (for Zapper)
Everything else I can do with a Joypad.

This bug is always present in mahcade ? I have no return from users for this
Exept that point, you think I can add more emulators without problem with keyboard/mouse ?

Thank
stealth

Postby codefenix » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:06 pm

stealth wrote:My problem is that the livemamecab usual usage is only mamecab cabinet and in this case there is no keyboard and no mouse

Let me get this straight... Are you actually trying to edit or add configurations without a keyboard or mouse? If this is your goal, I must advise you abandon all hope and give up now. You cannot do this, nor should you expect to.

Everyone who has ever set up Wah!Cade (or any frontend for that matter) has used a keyboard and mouse for the initial setup. Of these users, some choose to leave a keyboard or mouse to perform admin functions. Others don't.

I don't know much about this livemamecab of which you speak, but based on the information in this thread so far, one can conclude that the "usual usage" is not recommended for advanced users who want more control over setups. I suggest you rethink your strategy, and consider whether livemamecab is really the best option for your setup.
codefenix

Postby stealth » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:18 pm

codefenix wrote:
stealth wrote:My problem is that the livemamecab usual usage is only mamecab cabinet and in this case there is no keyboard and no mouse

Let me get this straight... Are you actually trying to edit or add configurations without a keyboard or mouse? If this is your goal, I must advise you abandon all hope and give up now. You cannot do this, nor should you expect to.

Yes of course
But if I understand right (maybe not) the "2" Key" is not for configuration, it's just an acces for another menu, so my question was, a user can shutdown the system with wahcade without keyboard or mouse ?
stealth

Postby codefenix » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:20 pm

As Sairuk said:
sairuk wrote:Also available through the menu system, or you can configure a Key combination in the configuration window

To do this, open Wah!Cade Setup, go to the Keys tab, and remap EXIT to whatever key or key combination you desire. This may include keyboard keys or joystick buttons. Check the Joystick checkbox if you have a joystick connected.

codefenix

Postby stealth » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:51 pm

Great all works, I also included genesys and sness, thank !
stealth

Postby stealth » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:45 am

All works in my configuration, but two things seem not perfect now
Maybe it's easy, but I can't find a way to have a different layout by emulator. And how I can add a button exit with an emulator like gens-gs, some emulators seem just use escape touch ?

@sairuk Mah!cade is very useful for me, I just want to say thank you.
stealth

Postby sairuk » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:23 pm

stealth wrote:All works in my configuration, but two things seem not perfect now
Maybe it's easy, but I can't find a way to have a different layout by emulator. And how I can add a button exit with an emulator like gens-gs, some emulators seem just use escape touch ?

I don't use gens-gs myself, so not sure what it does. Wahcade/Mahcade does not handle modified exit functions for emulators, so you would need to explain more what you are after

Different layouts are easily done see http://wahki.mameau.com/index.php?title ... r_platform for an example of what to do

you can remap key configurations with xinput iirc, its been a while
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:09 am

I sorta understand what the problem is, it took alot of custom work and configuration to get WahCade where I have it now. But WahCade as an interface is very much manual. WahCade does not have emulation specific platform configurations.

This has alot to do with the way that the original MameWah worked. MameWah literally just had you unzip emulators and expect to know how to configure them all on your own. But as we have sen, in a Linux based environment, people's expectations are different.

Specific problems to WahCade:
WahCade has a Start button looping bug that is well known, and was never fixed.

Specific problems to MahCade:
MahCade has a string parsing errors with certain characters containing [ and ] or ( and ) it can result in incomplete file names being passed as Emulator parameters.

Theme and Dynamic package installation problems:
M/WahCade does not make the installation of themes, or Emulator configurations for a Given platform easy at all.
Example: Lets say I added Atari Jaguar support to M/WahCade:

Optimally, WahCade would need to:
    Be able to check if I am using Mandriva (urpmi) RedHat (yum) or Ubuntu. and initiate the correct package manager command to start the manager.
    Then, it needs to know what themes are availible for that platform.
    Then it needs to be able to install the theme, install the configuration, and request a source for Roms. (ex. directory on the hard disk, or external media.
Zombie

Postby stealth » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:33 pm

sairuk wrote:
stealth wrote:All works in my configuration, but two things seem not perfect now

I don't use gens-gs myself, so not sure what it does. Wahcade/Mahcade does not handle modified exit functions for emulators, so you would need to explain more what you are after

Different layouts are easily done see http://wahki.mameau.com/index.php?title ... r_platform for an example of what to do

you can remap key configurations with xinput iirc, its been a while

Thank for the layout, I was looking in mahcade interface ...
For gens-rs, perhaps there is a way with qjoypad, QJoyPad takes input from a gamepad or joystick and translates it into key strokes or mouse actions, so if you want the button 5 (for example of course) become escape touch. With qjoypad Livemamecab does not need any keyboard/mouse (except configuration of course)
stealth

Postby sairuk » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:02 pm

stealth wrote:perhaps there is a way with qjoypad

Qjoypad is what I used a while back, I setup a profile which had a key combination for say ALT+F4 or escape and loaded it as required per emulator

Qjoypad loader
Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
#############################
# Load QJoyPad profiles
# before executing application
#
#############################
#
# Check if qjoypad is installed
#
QJOYPAD=`which qjoypad`
#
if [ ! -e ${QJOYPAD} ]; then
   echo "Could not find qjoypad"
   exit
fi
#
# Check # of args
#
if [ $# -lt 2 ]; then
   echo "Usage: $0 <qjoypad_profile> <app-exe> <app-args>"
   exit
fi

if [ $1 = "killqj" ]; then
   killall qjoypad
else
   #
   # Start QJoyPad with profile
   #
   ${QJOYPAD} $1 &
   #
fi
#
# Drop profile arg
#
shift
#
# Execute the remaining arguments
#
"$@"
#
# Switch to Wah!Cade profile
#
${QJOYPAD} "wahcade" &

and then in the wahcade smd.ini for Fusion
Code: Select all
### Execution Settings ###
emulator_executable                     ~/emulators/qjoypad_loader
commandline_format                      "altf4" ~/Fusion/Fusion -smd -auto -fullscreen "[rompath]/[name].[romext]"
sairuk

Postby stealth » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:11 am

Sadly Qjoypad carries important dependencies for me, I'm using xubuntu (gtk) and Qjoypad is QT application
So I'm looking for alternative, perhaps something like joy2key
stealth

Return to Wah!Cade