Buttons dont work

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Buttons dont work

Postby englischdude » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:05 pm

Hello,

I have a bartop arcade machine, linux xubuntu version 9 based running wahcade. I have had some problems with buttons 5 and 6 for player two not being recognised, changed the mapping as per the instructions on the unimarc website and all was ok. However, on player one button 5 is not working even though the mapping seems to be correct. I have checked the hardware and this all seems to be ok. I cant find anywhere in wahcade where this could be set. Can aynone give me some pointers please.

Thanks
Martin
englischdude

Re: Buttons dont work

Postby codefenix » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:42 pm

englischdude wrote:I cant find anywhere in wahcade where this could be set.

You set your key assignments in the emulator, not wahcade.

You mentioned Ultimarc, so I take it you have an IPAC. The below diagram (minus the trackball) represents how the IPAC is mapped by default:
(Source: Wah!Ki - Cabinet-friendliness)

So assuming you're using Mame, you need to map "player 2 button 5" to "I" and "player 2 button 6" to "K".

Wahcade's key assignments are only for the frontend functions, like next/previous list, next/previous platform, etc. It doesn't take key assignments for gameplay.

Check back if you still have questions.
codefenix

Postby englischdude » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:38 pm

Hello,

many thanks for your quick response. As mentioned in my first post, I set the buttons 5 and 6 for player 2 in the game itself as per the instructions on the ultimarc and they are now working ok, however player 1 button 2 still does not seem to be working even though it is correctly mapped in the game itself. I dont really know where to go on this one! I am using the IPAC mini.

Regards
Martin
englischdude

Postby codefenix » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:47 pm

Beg your pardon, but is it button 2 or 5 on player 1? You mentioned one in each of your posts.

To rule out a defective IPAC, bring up a text editor or Terminal window and test all of your inputs. Make sure each key registers the corresponding character on the screen. If you press an input and see nothing show up on the screen (don't forget button two is ALT, which accesses the active window's menu), check your connections on the failing input. If all of your connections are secure, then you likely have a bad IPAC.

EDIT: If it is, in fact, button 2, don't forget that's the ALT key, which some emulators don't accept as a valid input because it's a modifier key. Mame, however, use it just fine by default. Which emulator are you trying?
codefenix

Postby englischdude » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:15 pm

hi,

so the plot thickens. Just to be sure, I just changed the switch on button 5 for player one, it has no effect. I then removed the switch completely and shorted the two connectors directly, still nothing. I then attached a usb keyboard and voala... the Z button works just fine and produces the desired response. So..... defective IPAC or a settings issue with IPAC? Here is my setup:

Bartop Arcade:
Linux Xubuntu 9
Wahcade emulator frontend
SDLmame

Computer:
Imac running 10.5

Hopala: just checked the inputs in a text editor, and although button 5 is set to z in whacade, in the text editor the y comes up when pressing button 5. COuld this be an international keyboard issue? in Austria the Y and Z I think are swapped compared to the USA or UK say.

Regards
MArtin
englischdude

Re: Buttons dont work - SOLVED

Postby englischdude » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:22 pm

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

that really was the problem. I changed the Z to a Y for button 5 player one in the game menu and now it is working fine!!

Thank you for your help.

Regards
Martin
englischdude

Postby codefenix » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:30 pm

Good job troubleshooting that! Glad to know it's working for you now.
codefenix

Postby englischdude » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:39 pm

codefenix wrote:Good job troubleshooting that! Glad to know it's working for you now.

yup, it was your notepad tip that indicated the source of the problem. again many thanks. It really did not occur to me to open a text editor and use the arcade controls as a text input to see what was happening. Now it is clear to me why I have not been able to compelte street fighter the movie all this time....... international keyboard issue :lol: :lol: :lol:
englischdude

Return to Wah!Cade