Linux Emulator Advocacy

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Linux Emulator Advocacy

Postby Zombie » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:50 pm

I am here to issue a call to action among the non-developer users of WahCade. Linux needs a wider base of Emulator support to make emulators more accessible.

Some Definate needs are:
dolphin-emu - We need a reasonably stable Dolphin emu port that.

Some Concerns:
SNES Emulation - SNES9X is terrible, but ZSNES will freeze on certain games, like Battle Toads and Double Dragon. snes9x-gtk has screen resizing bugs.
Commodore 64/128 Emulation (Vice) C64 Emulation is not bad except for full screen mode which has an xrandr bug.
FM Towns Marty - XE Emulator is pathetic.
Playstation 2 - Serious problems exist building it.
Playstation 1 - Full Screen.
Dolphin - Seriously broken.
Desume - Also Broken.

Thats all I can think of for now. if you have other suggestions please share with me. WahCade is an outstanding application, but it needs the support of the emulation community!
Last edited by Zombie on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zombie

Re: Linux Emulator Advocacy

Postby spudgunman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:19 pm

as this forum has a relatively low user group I would recommend posting up on other emulator specific areas.

here is a fat list of emulators http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=612289

as for virtual boy your going to have little support, the games for it were few and far in popularity and what MESS can do will do is about the end of development for it.

as for the wonderswan the lack of users of the actual system causes a lack of interest by the community (same as virtual boy) however for wonderswan and SMS why is Mednafen bad? I have been using it for years and never had any issues with quality or runability.

and for Genesis XE is a great application.

zsnes and nestopia work great, not sure where your lock on battle toads is might check your ROM as my file works with no issues that I see. Com64 is sort of out dated in the game emulator why re-invent what MESS has 100% since you dont need much to play the games.

I guess I understand your post but wahcade isnt anythign more then a menu system, so your calling for bug fixes on game-emulators that are long outdated or have little to no development any more isn't exactly the right location on the wahcade forum for the results you want. you call to the non developer people but the only way you will get a fix is to convince a developer to fix it, or pay for a fix, or fix it your self. Systems like Virtual Boy and WonderSwan will never get the attention you want as they are years old now and MESS emulates the system to keep it from being lost. However there was little reason for developers to work on it as the user base was and is small. comp. to Nintendo/Sega

If you want to see development on your game platforms go click donate buttons, and check out better emulators to do what you want, MESS will do everything its just not made for games as much replication of the CPU for the system.

WahCade is fully compatible with "any" emulator in the world, if you have problems I would suggest looking at new ways to run your emulator with better performance on your hardware. Otherwise go to the platform that more developers are working on due to supply and demand and go to windows with MameWah or try and get your DOS emulator to work on wine.
spudgunman

Postby Zombie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:42 pm

I understand whole heartily. To be quite honest, I've never used Mednafen, I should probably try. XE is closed source and Hostile to Mandriva, as for the rest, well, we just need good configurations.

In your configurations, try and aim as low end as possible. Try and do your best to make sure the configurations you ship work for low end boxes.
Zombie

Postby spudgunman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:11 pm

when you say configurations... are you talking wahcade? because the configuration isnt anything other then calling the emulator - the computer speed isnt a requirement for wahcade.

sounds more like your trying to make a huge package of emulators for mandrake? open or closed the end goal is to play the game so just because you cant hack the source shouldn't matter much, just that you can play it.

I just feel that your missing a fundamental objective of wahcade here, wahcade is a menu system to call other emulators, it makes the selection of ROMS easy to do with no mouse or keyboard, it then takes that selection and passes it off to a emulator. It would be the same as a 4 line bash script but much more elegant.

so whatever you configure in wahcade, would be the same as running the emulator from the command line, or double clicking on a icon. If you cant make the emulator run on your hardware without wahcade, it wont run any different with wahcade. there is a full air-gap from wahcade to emulator in regards to code.

If you make a configuration for N64 emulation you will NEED a computer capable of emulating N64 (meaning better then 1.2ghz and that still stinks) if you have wahcade or mamewah, ubuntu or mandriva, windows or redhat, amd or intel. Your computer must be able to emulate the game with out any menu system (wahcade or mamewah) if it cant then you will never win.
spudgunman

What works and What doesn't.

Postby Zombie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:22 pm

Here is what I have working so far:

NES/Famicom - fceuX or mednafen (mednafen may be superior due to better Turbo, and supports the FF7 for NES ROM)
    Famicom Disk System - mednafen
    Super NES - snes9x-next with RetroArch Full screen Glitch resolved by switching to OpenBox
    Game Boy Pocket - sdlmess gbcolor (uses Game Boy Color Bios to colorize games.) or mednafen tgb-dual for Game Link support.
    Game Boy Color - VisualBoyAdvance or Mednafen
    Game Boy Advance - mednafen (mednafen may perform better?)
    Super Game Boy - sdlmess or vbam (This is the only emulator that properly plays Super Gameboy games such as the first Pokemons in color.)
    Nintendo 64 - mupen64plus
    Atari 2600 - retroarch stella or sdlmess
    Atari 5200 - atari800 (superior to sdlmess)
    Atari 7800 - retroarch
    Atari Lynx - mednafen
    Sega Genesis - mednafen
    Sega 32x - fusion (updated to Kega Fusion), picodrive
    Sega CD - retroarch (works now.)
    Sega Master System - mednafen
    Sega Game Gear - mednafen
    Sony Playstation - pcsxr (Updated! Much better!)
    NEC SuperGrafx - mednafen
    NEC Turbo Grafx 16 - mednafen
    NEC SuperGrafx - mednafen
    Commodore 64 - vice-sdl fine as of Vice 2.2.
    MSX - OpenMSX
    Windows - wine called from script.
    Linux games called from a script. Custom script written. Resolved.
    MS-DOS - dosbox
    Virtual Boy - mednafen - Working, mednafen 0.9.32.1
    WonderSwan Color - mednafen, working
    Neo Geo Pocket - mednafen working
    Neo Geo AES - sdlmame working (part of Mame), Final Burn Alpha
    Neo Geo CD - raine-neocd working
    Colecovision - sdlmess
    Intellivision - sdlmess
    Atari ST - hatari
    Atari 8-bit computers (400, 800, 600XL, 130 XE, 1450 XLD, list goes on) - atari800
    ZX Spectrum - FBZX
    Amstrad CPC - caprice32
    Commodore Amiga - FS-UAE
    Atari Jaguar - Virtual Jaguar - Actually runs some games at full speed!
    Magnavox Odyssey 2 - retroarch
    Vectrex - retroarch
    PC-9801 - Neko Project II - A new build compiled with IA-32 Support works!
    Panasonic 3DO - Retroarch libretro-4do Module: Requires Beefy Hardware! Beware!
    Nintendo DS - libretro-desmume - Still impoving! Full screen support! Controller support! Requires Beefy Hardware!

List of Emulators of Concern
    Sega DreamCast - dcemu/wine - Working.
    Sharp X68000 - sdlmess x68000 works but gives Graphic errors. XM6 will run X68000.
    Playstation 2 - pcsx2 - Buggy
    FM Towns Marty - Xe Emulator. Broken.
    GameCube/Wii - dolphin-emu - Working, but much too slow for the Cab.
    Apple II GS - xKegs - Works but won't full screen. Uses OSS for sound.
    68000 Mac will run on Basalisk II.
    Power PC Mac will run on PearPC. (The Pippin is one of these.)
    PC-88 - Quasi88 - Broken Color Palette
    Sega Saturn - Yabause has taken a turn for the worse.

I maintain two instances of mame. I still use xmame for some games and sdlmame for others. Both sdlmame and sdlmess have issues retaining configurations as it seems both systems revert to default.

* Game Boy Classic games can now be colorized by the Game boy color Bios.
Last edited by Zombie on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:39 am, edited 34 times in total.
Zombie

Postby Zombie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:35 pm

This represents progress from 2008 to 2009. Its discouraging that we haven't seen a fix for the UAE situation beyong running UAE in Wine, or that Sharp X68000 does so poorly. But at least some of the Critical things, like sega CD were fixed and snes9x-gtk sounds right.

Reality Boy is in no better shape on Linux than it is on Windows. DosBox has improved considerablly.
Zombie

Amiga Emulation

Postby Zombie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:03 pm

It looks like our Amiga Emulation worries might be ending:

Someone named Gnostic is making a new UAE called PUAE. It is supposed to be E-UAE with all the updates from WinUAE.
Zombie

Postby Zombie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:49 am

I have prepared a working RPM of lxdream, and I can confirm it at least starts. If I get lxdream working, I'll submit an lxdream config file.
Virtual Jaguar is still up in the air.
WinUAE works fairly well under Wine.
PCSX2 I'm going to start testing soon.
Zombie

Postby Zombie » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:08 am

Dolphin-emu now works at 75% Speed.

I am having some issues with xdg-open from within WahCade.
Zombie

Postby Hopelessone » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:49 am

Hi,

How did you install sdlmess for Atari's?

I use Ubuntu 10.04 64bit
I'm trying to setup:
Atari [2600]
Atari [5200]
Atari [7800]
Atari [Jaguar]

Thanks..
Hopelessone

Postby Zombie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:30 pm

Atari 2600 work with Stella, 5200 and 7800 work with SDLMess. There is no Jaguar emulator that is viable right now.
Zombie

Postby codefenix » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:46 pm

Agreed that Stella works wonderfully with 2600. I would just add that a small degree of configuring is necessary to make it Wah-friendly, such as mapping the ESC key to exit the emulator instead of return to Stella's main menu. This is the one ini in Wah!Cade that doesn't do this out of the box, as far as I know.
codefenix

Postby Zombie » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:20 am

The Atari Jaguar is an Itch needing Scratching. Like the Virtual boy, at one point there was no viable way to Emulate it. There does exist Virtual Jaguar, but it is practically unusable.
Zombie

Postby codefenix » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:54 pm

codefenix

Postby Zombie » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:10 pm

Yes, it doesn't work.
Zombie

Next

Return to Wah!Cade