The effects of RetroArch.

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

The effects of RetroArch.

Postby Zombie » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:43 am

RetroArch is going to make a big splash for WahCade. RetroArch greatly improves SNES Support over snes9x-gtk. It fixes many speed issues and full screen issues, everything runs at near perfection. It may have the affect of making certain wishy-washy platforms like Super Game Boy, and Atari Jaguar, more playable in the long run! In addition, RetroArch decreases the need for the Closed source and un-maintained Kega Fusion, as Retro Arch adds support for Sega CD. Also, RetroArch adds support for the Sega SG 1000.
Zombie

Re: The effects of RetroArch.

Postby stealth » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:00 am

Yes I agree, that makes a big difference. I'm playing with sega genesis and snes without any problem, perfect and fast with a little computer (eeepc). Retroarch-phoenix ,the simple GUI frontend for RetroArch, is also awesome.With wahcade it's like a retrogamers dreams become reality :)

Perhaps it will be a good idea to add in future version of wahcade an (more) easy way to configuration the libretro's libs, like drop-down menu for example
A little mamecab OS - Mah!Cade, mame , retroarch - Livemamecab
The live CD can be used for a quick demo or test, Download ISO
stealth

Postby Zombie » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:02 pm

There's still room for improvement. For example after all this time, I still don't have sound effects in WahCade. wahcade-setup isn't really that different. Fuzzy Artwork seems to actually have stopped working.

I still don't have a means for WahCade to address Removable media (like the Retrode) and a number of other problems.
Zombie

Postby General_Faliure » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:49 am

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks interesting.
My Arcade cab: https://goo.gl/photos/yE1KACHryQjCaaCj7
Core 2 duo 8400 @3600, 4 gig mem, Geforce 9500. Mame, Mess, Daphne, and some more.
Mah!cade
General_Faliure

Postby stealth » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:36 am

Zombie wrote:There's still room for improvement. For example after all this time, I still don't have sound effects in WahCade. wahcade-setup isn't really that different. Fuzzy Artwork seems to actually have stopped working.
I still don't have a means for WahCade to address Removable media (like the Retrode) and a number of other problems.

Yes of course, I just mean that Retroarch change a lot of things (for me) and that Wahcade is good enough, but not perfect it's true, we should keep in mind that sairuk seem alone for coding and I wonder what wahcade could become with more help. Alike the forum seem like a ghost town now.

@General_Faliure You can try it without (or with of course) installation with livemamecab
stealth

Postby Zombie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:04 am

You slightly misinderstand. I don't use the RetroArch front end, I still use WahCade. I use RetroArch's cores via. Command Line.
Zombie

Postby RomKnight » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:10 am

Sounds very good. Got to try it this weekend.

Saves lots of time configuring many emulators and mess really is a mess to me :)
RomKnight

Postby Zombie » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:15 am

WahCade needs some Ascetic improvements. WahCade is almost so well polished it is ready for prime-time.
Zombie

Postby stealth » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:22 am

Zombie wrote:WahCade needs some Ascetic improvements. WahCade is almost so well polished it is ready for prime-time.

Yes right, many thanks to sairuk and balki
I hope some news come soon
stealth

Postby General_Faliure » Mon May 06, 2013 2:05 pm

W(M)acade is still the best front end for Linux, but i think a lot of people are still too afraid of Linux to give it a try.
My Arcade cab: https://goo.gl/photos/yE1KACHryQjCaaCj7
Core 2 duo 8400 @3600, 4 gig mem, Geforce 9500. Mame, Mess, Daphne, and some more.
Mah!cade
General_Faliure

Postby Zombie » Mon May 06, 2013 4:18 pm

RetroArch is creating more modules for more platform modules so that WahCade is far easier to integrate.

As for why WahCade is not more wisely used, there are a few reasons for that. WahCade is based on MameWAH, the oldest MAME frontend. While It's superior to MameWah, it's NOT Superior to MALA and HyperSpin. WahCade requires more configuration out of the box than MALA or HyperSpin.

Another problem is the whole "Lets make a Distribution for WahCade" type thinking. That's very wrong-headed. The correct answer is "Lets make WahCade as easy to install on any distribution and configure as possible. working with existing package managers." This is the route I have chosen because WahCade is an application. If there's one thing I loathe and despise about some applications, it's that they start with a broken configuration. It used to be that when you started WahCade for the first time, it crashed. So, in my thinking, WahCade should have a task meta package with it.
Zombie

Postby laxdragon » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:56 pm

WahCade is quickly losing favor due to the lack up releases as of late. It really could use some new packages for modern distros at the very least.

Looks like Mala is dead as well. The website has not responded in a very long time, and even when it was up, they had not updated in years.

I don't know, to me, it does look like the interest in emulation is down quite a bit. It spikes from time to time when there is a new platform to try to get emulators on, iOS, Android, etc.
laxdragon

Postby codefenix » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:21 pm

laxdragon wrote:WahCade is quickly losing favor due to the lack up releases as of late.

"Late" meaning "four years ago"?

I'm not sure it ever had "favor", so much as a small base of reluctant users. The only people using WahCade are Linux users, because there's no other viable frontend on Linux.

laxdragon wrote:It really could use some new packages for modern distros at the very least. I don't know, to me, it does look like the interest in emulation is down quite a bit.

If there is truly a decline in emulation, it's because retro gaming on modern systems has become highly affordable and accessible. The common casual user would much rather pay $5 to download retro games on XBox Live Arcade than tinker around with emulators and roms.

On the other hand, if you've ever spent any appreciable amount of time lurking the BYOAC forums, as I do, you'd see that interest in emulation is quite alive and well, and that the bulk of people interested in emulation and/or cabinet building are using Windows as their OS. If there's any drop in interest in emulation, it's in the Linux community.

There's a perception about Linux emulation, that it's complicated and buggy. If we're being perfectly honest with ourselves, we all know this perception exists, and that it's mostly true. Who among us hasn't spent countless hours on the command line, trying to find the correct syntax and parameters to get an emulator to work, and then try to parlay that command line into a working configuration, which then requires even further trial and error before it works properly? We haven't even considered the complete lack of Linux presence for some emulators, like, say, Dreamcast. Sure, you may be able to use Wine, but this even further complicates the configuration, and if you succeed in getting it to work, it won't work the way you want, or it will look like crap.

The configuration information posted in the advocacy thread and on WahKi is supposed to be helpful. But out of context to the uninitiated, it makes no sense whatsoever. How much of this site's traffic has been from users taking one look at setting up MAME and then immediately going back to Google after feeling like they were completely in over their heads?

If I'm being completely honest, I'd rather use Windows. It simplifies so much, especially when you have more emulator/frontend options.

And if I'm being ultra completely honest, I've been playing contemporary games on my XBox more than retro games on my MAME cabinet.
codefenix

Postby Zombie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:48 am

This is why I wish the meta-package Concept for WahCade took off. Except for Saturn and DreamCast, you are wrong about that.

Problem 1. There haven't been any new releases. There needs to be a new release. If there's a new release, Linux Packagers will package it. Because otherwise you are stuck with GIT checkouts. Not good.
Problem 2. Meta-package configuration management. We CAN NOT ship a package that crashes because it has a bad configuration. I can't stress this enough.
Problem 3. Theme Management. It needs to be easier to install themes.

I've been playing my Mame Cabinet alot. (adding to my collection). My Platform support is GROWING again. The reason for that is that I am a Packager for a Linux distribution. I understand the concepts of quality control. I understand that when I install an application, it needs to be ready to go with a valid configuration. The only real progress we have made there is:

We know what Emulators are and aren't vaiable.
We have reasonably decent configurations that generally work, but need adjustment due to age, way better than what exists in Windows for what exists on this scale. (90% of our emulator config is [program] [rom].[romext] anyway.)

Ideally we should facilitate the Linux package management schema more than we do, not ship something broken, I would have committed to this, but I lack the talent to do that. So the fact is, we need a release.
Zombie

Postby Zombie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:11 am

Let me share some other opportunities we have:

Because Linux is a multi-user environment, A Mame [console] used by multiple people could have profiles by account.
Certain non-critical configuration elements, like theme sets, could be selectable with a control pad. (Emuchrist BW vs. EmuChrist Color)
Because of the existance of the file utility, pmount, and d-bus, Roms could be detected on Removable USB Storage media.
WahCade could download in an automated fashion, new configurations from WahKi, upon user consent.
Zombie

Next

Return to Wah!Cade