mahcade

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

mahcade

Postby stealth » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 am

Hi all,

I'm using mahcade with mame and retroarch without any problem, but I need help about a "little" thing I have slow response time when I press the next emu button.
I mean when I press the keyboard/button, there are a 3/4 seconds before the menu change. I know I have a little hardware (atom dual core) but perhaps there is a way to increase the speed, something like run mahcade in ram (2 Go) disk maybe ?

Do you have this lag too ?

Thank
A little mamecab OS - Mah!Cade, mame , retroarch - Livemamecab
The live CD can be used for a quick demo or test, Download ISO
stealth

Re: mahcade

Postby Zombie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Yes, I have to wait a few seconds for the next emulator page to load.
Zombie

Postby stealth » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:34 pm

Ah ok, so maybe it's not a problem about hardware (low cpu)
stealth

Postby Zombie » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:32 am

There are a number of small improvements I'd like made, for example, can it be more easily documented what the "Artwork 1-8" is for?
Zombie

Postby stealth » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:12 am

Yes, and a better integration for Retroarch
For a daily use, the lag is the only part who frustrate me, except that mahcade is awesome

I will try to put .wahcade in ramdisk like this https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ramdisk (to sync wahcade to disk before shutting down)
stealth

Postby sairuk » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:55 pm

stealth wrote:better integration for Retroarch

Had a quick look at the Ra docs, not really sure what the expectation of the above is. Could you please explain, it seems like any other emulator for me. Perhaps you mean include ini files for retroarch use??

Not sure what to do about the lag but I do experience the same problem, thought about pre-loading lists but that will take away precious memory for some. It could be an ini option I suppose but not sure how to implement it atm.

To the comment on artwork 1-10, they are at their simplest layers and the numbering is simply the order in which they are drawn to the screen. There are additional layers which are not artwork therefore artwork 1 is actually layer 2 in the below image. How you use and breakdown those layers is entirely up to you. Empty images for each artwork are named as <emulator_ini_name>-art1.<ext>, these are the default images shown when no artwork is found for the game in the specified path.

See:
http://wahki.mameau.com/index.php?title ... ansparency
http://wahki.mameau.com/index.php?title ... ration.png
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:33 pm

Retroarch is just a modular emulation system not unlike Mednafen. WahCade usually just launches retroarch [romname].[romext] (or retroarch-zip for zip files.) I use it for SNES and Sega CD Support now. What it does is give these overlays more consistent feel with a game pad, rather than whatever QT or GTK interface they used before. This is seen as an improvement over the default interfaces of Emulators like Desmume, Hatari, and Atari800 and Yabause which border on unusable by Cabinets and Consoles.
Zombie

Postby stealth » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:10 pm

sairuk wrote:
stealth wrote:better integration for Retroarch

Not sure what to do about the lag but I do experience the same problem, thought about pre-loading lists but that will take away precious memory for some. It could be an ini option I suppose but not sure how to implement it atm.

Yes, maybe pre-loading to the memory just after the load of the first page ? Before you press the button for the next emulator
You should try Retroarch, it's fastest and easiest emulator that I know, it resolves all problem with just one file configuration
Last edited by stealth on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stealth

Postby stealth » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Zombie wrote:WahCade usually just launches retroarch [romname].[romext] (or retroarch-zip for

Not exactly, retroarch also need the good library, -L libretro-sness.so fo example, I think just good template should be a good answer
stealth

Postby sairuk » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:19 am

stealth wrote:
Zombie wrote:WahCade usually just launches retroarch [romname].[romext] (or retroarch-zip for

Not exactly, retroarch also need the good library, -L libretro-sness.so fo example, I think just good template should be a good answer

Happy enough to include/review any ini made available for retroarch, don't think it'll change much once its done.
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby stealth » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:28 am

A good idea, but need many changes I think, is adding a drop-down menu to choice a library, like snes, genesis, etc based on /usr/lib/libretroxxxx
I'm using retroarch for all (except Mame) but I need to know the path of library, ok it's not really a problem for me, but I can say it's a problem for many users

Retroarch solves many configurations problem when you are using multi emu (pads, resolution, etc), for me it's the best solution now
But again for me mahcade is really good enough, there are just some little "problems", for example the lag and maybe the configuration who need some little improvements for beginners

Thank you once again for your efforts, mahcade is a very useful solution, and if you can fix the lag it will be almost perfect ;)

There is a donate button somewhere ?
Last edited by stealth on Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stealth

Postby sairuk » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:37 am

i will definately look at the lag issue in the coming weeks and see what can be done,

I will have to play with retroarch before I commit to the dropdown box idea, seems its tying to specificly to a single emulator (only one its currently tied specifically too is mame)

No donate button at this point (i make enough money at work), donate to Child's Play instead, http://www.childsplaycharity.org/
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:54 am

I use RetroArch for SNES, and Sega CD Currently.
Zombie

Postby stealth » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:49 am

sairuk wrote:i will definately look at the lag issue in the coming weeks and see what can be done,

I will have to play with retroarch before I commit to the dropdown box idea, seems its tying to specificly to a single emulator (only one its currently tied specifically too is mame)

No donate button at this point (i make enough money at work), donate to Child's Play instead, http://www.childsplaycharity.org/

Great !
stealth

Postby stealth » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:06 am

Maybe it's not the right place, but I fixed some problems with french accents here
http://numsys.eu/livemamecab/wahcade.mo
Replace /usr/local/share/games/wahcade/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/wahcade.mo
stealth

Next

Return to Wah!Cade