Modernizing WahCade

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Modernizing WahCade

Postby Zombie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:10 am

Okay perhaps this is a bit more appropriate a title for this thread. I don't want WahCade to Mimic HyperSpin, I want WahCade to be more user friendly, more aesthetically pleasing, and operate in a smoother fashion with minimal bloat. I think some ideas are good, others bad in how to go about this. I still greatly enjoy the EmuChrist Viewer skins and do not want to do away with them, I just want to make their integration more fluid.

My personal .lay files for the EmuChrist are far different from the ones the EmuChrist Zip files provide. My ini files are even more different due to new versions of emulators being released, and entirely new emulators coming on the scene. If I were to upload my new files now, many of them would be completely different from what I uploaded before. (why is my SNES definition file still called zsnes.ini when I've moved from zsnes to snes9x to snes9x-gtk to RetroArch? I'm looking for better ways to manage this, even offering some templates as RPM or DEB Sub-Packages.
Zombie

Re: Modernizing WahCade

Postby General_Faliure » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:09 am

I second that.

I also still use, and like, the old Emuchrist layouts.
I enlarged the ones i use to 1280 x 1024.
Maybe you could post your ini's in the above thread?
Here is a link to my enhanced Emuchrist layouts, if anyone is interested;
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwhmCneIYLsSMEQ1QXZGV29tejQ&authuser=0
My Arcade cab: https://goo.gl/photos/yE1KACHryQjCaaCj7
Core 2 duo 8400 @3600, 4 gig mem, Geforce 9500. Mame, Mess, Daphne, and some more.
Mah!cade
General_Faliure

Postby Zombie » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:25 am

I'm not sure the best way to do that. I did the WahCade ini thread but it didn't really make things better. There's still too much incorrect configuration information. Perhaps a git/svn/bzr like Revision Control Mechanism would help?
Zombie

Postby sairuk » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:56 am

I suggest you pick one system, one emulator(one version) and one skin then profile it across the multiple distributions. From there you can asses and discuss an approach to this problem if there is a common thread to be found.

IIRC you install your emulators in /opt (which is recommended practise) while default locations for packages under debian may be in /usr/games, therefore the ini file defaults need to be different unless the option is to repackage emulator/skins as one package.

This should be considered moreso a secondary/community project from the mainline Wah!Cade project. Support packages if you will.
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Return to Wah!Cade