Hot-plugging

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

Hot-plugging

Postby AzaIndustries » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:40 pm

Hey, it's me again.
Using wahcade fairly regularly without any problems, it's pure awesomeness, I have 9 systems working through it perfectly.

But I have a small annoyance from time to time.

I have wahcade starting up on boot, set up as a console in my living room.
It's all controlled with an xbox controller, and works great.

But at the moment the controller has to be plugged in before launch, and any interruption will cause it not to work.

Is there anyway to get controllers to work after wahcade has launched without having to restart it?
Restarting it is hard because I don't have a mouse/keyboard plugged into this PC.

The controller still has the same device address as the mapped controls. It's not being added as the next joystick in the OS, it's still js0.

Any help would be appreciated,
thanks for your time.

P.S. If you could think of an alternate solution/fix please suggest.
AzaIndustries

Re: Hot-plugging

Postby Zombie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:07 pm

There is a bug in Wahcade (MahCade) that it won't re-initialize the controller if the controller was unplugged and plugged back in. I have a somewhat of a Hardware solution of sorts. I use a PS3 Wireless Controller called a Mad Catz Fight pad (resembles a Saturn pad), It has a Dongle that stays plugged into the USB port but just goes to sleep.

Other controllers From Mad Catz like the Wireless Fight stick can also communicate with this Dongle.

The truth is WahCade doesn't handle joypads in a complete manner, there would need to be a re-write of Joypad handling to handle the disconnection and reconnection of different pads via PyGame and alert the user as to the pad change by displaying information about connected pads. That would require an entire re-write of Joypad handling by Sariuk or a provided patch. (We welcome Patches!)
Zombie

Postby AzaIndustries » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Ah ok, thanks for the input.

I think I'll just have to figure something else out..
I've been considering getting a separate numpad that I can mount to the console and map important/powerful controls to it.

It will also help when other people use the console and accidentally close games by hitting the guide button.
AzaIndustries

Postby Zombie » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:09 pm

Do you use xpad or xboxdrv to power your 360 Pad?
Zombie

Postby AzaIndustries » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:37 am

xboxdrv

BUT

I've not been able to get it working properly.
I'm using the default daemon (I think?), because setting it up to start for controllers on startup has a bug
When you remove controllers they aren't detached in the driver so you can't use the port again if you plug a controller back in.

And for the life of me I can not figure out how to change the default daemon controller settings, I've looked at many guides but none seem to mention how to customize the default settings, only set up your own manually started ones.

Oh and I'm on Lubuntu.

On another note, I'm excited to see what steam has improved when they release the changes they've made to xboxdrv, they are the only people that seem to be working on it anymore.
I hear they've managed to get the LED light correlate to player number properly, which would be awesome.
AzaIndustries

Postby Zombie » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:49 am

I have similiar issues with cwiid, (Wiimotes) and qtsixa (PS3 Controllers)
Zombie

Postby AzaIndustries » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:07 am

Hey it's me, again... for like the 5th time.
I've solved above problem so that's all good.

Didn't want to create a new thread for this.
I have another small problem, I have steam games launching through wahcade, with steam in silent mode in the background on startup.
The problem is steam has this annoying little pop-up that says the game is preparing to launch or startup.

Wahcade thinks this is the game, and after it closes it starts playing the background music over the games that launches afterwards.
Any ideas on a fix for this?
I asked on the steam forums for a way of disabling the popup, just checking here if there is a way to fix it on wahcades end.
Thanks.

Also on a side note I attached a horribly compressed image of how my GUI has come along, I'm rather proud about how it turned out.
Sucks I had to compress the image so much, I don't have an image host atm.
emulatorcollage.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AzaIndustries

Postby Zombie » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:20 pm

You need to upload that Skin suite. What was your solution for xboxdrv,
Zombie

Postby AzaIndustries » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:16 pm

Oh I'm not using Xboxdrv, I just fixed it by always having my controller plugged in, lol.
And if it gets unplugged I have a separate numpad to control wahcade if I need to, which sits on the tv cabinet.

I figured it comes in handy with other emulation stuff too. Don't want to accidentally close games with the xbox guide button anymore. =P

Yeah I guess I can upload the template, it's pretty bare-bones. I wanted simple and uncluttered, I don't think I even have pop-ups visible.

Do I post it in the extras section?

Anyway here it is, hosted on a temporary 48 hours service, and a horribly compressed boring preview image to go along with it. I'll upload it somewhere else tomorrow along with a better image and description. It's midnight so I can't be bothered atm.
Goodnight!

http://expirebox.com/download/9b49d18df73e23d8f325eae5ea6053ac.html

Note: the compression made the black background subtle pattern stand out a lot. And the dosbox images in the layout folder are used for bordering the steam game banners you can find by googling "steam banner [gamename]" or something. They are the images steam uses in big picture gallery mode.

main.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AzaIndustries

Postby Zombie » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:26 pm

Could someone upload this to Wah!Ki?
Zombie

Postby sairuk » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:39 am

I'll post it providing AZA_ind is happy with that?
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby AzaIndustries » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:22 am

Yeah go ahead, is there any more information you need about it?

I also hope people who use it have the same font otherwise it will stuff it up. I'm not sure how various distros handle fonts between each other and if they will have the one I used.
People may need to make the emulator name font smaller if they are using longer names for their emulators otherwise it won't fit.

artwork10 is being used to create a slight shadow border over the the artwork box, it gets the missing 'art.png' file to replace it.

EDIT: Ok here is the file again hosted somewhere permanent.
http://www.aza-industries.org/downloads/aza_1920x1080.7z

And a link to the main.png uncompressed,
http://www.aza-industries.org/images/main.png
And a link to the template filled in with stuff.
http://www.aza-industries.org/images/digdug.png
AzaIndustries

Return to Wah!Cade