WahCade and OwnCloud

A nice (keyboard based) front end for Arcade / Console game emulators.

Moderator: battlecat

WahCade and OwnCloud

Postby Zombie » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:53 pm

So it looks like I am going to have a second Mame Console. I'm working with trying to keep Save States between nodes (Remote and Local) to where everyone has the same Save Game and State information using the OwnCloud for Emulators such as Mednafen and RetroArch. The OwnCloud Desktop Client creates some rather obnoxious problems with way it wants a task bar present. I was wondering if WahCade could have its own OwnCloud Replication module for save and state information.
Zombie

Re: WahCade and OwnCloud

Postby sairuk » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:11 am

It is my opinion that Owncloud, rsync (or dropbox) provide this functionality. It is not a feature integral to a frontend primarily intended to standalone use. Wah!Cade is not intended to control the emulator once launched (that is what retroarch appears to be for), I would be mindful of that moving forward.

In saying that I have been doing syncing 2 machines without issue for my kids using owncloud for months now with the dolphin emulator, minecraft & documents folders (we have a taskbar and are not using Wah!Cade yet). While game files are synced via a combination of rsync/scp where I don't expect frequent changes. This was due to limitations in rsync with larger files >2GB(?iirc).

The only downside thus far is the frequency with the owncloud updates which disables the server<->client connection until the server is upgraded, I can alleviate this but have chosen not to look at it yet.

**UPDATE: This looks like a potential solution: https://github.com/csawyerYumaed/pyOwnCloud

Some options to consider:
  • Dropbox
  • Standard Owncloud Client
  • rsync
  • scp
  • rsync/cronjob
  • scp/cronjob
  • pyOwnCloud CLI interface

You may arguably integrate any of these with the external commands section of the ini already available
Code: Select all

### External Application Settings ###
ipc_file_or_path                                                             #N/A
app_1_executable                          wahcade-history-viewer             #wahcade-history-viewer / wahcade-cp-viewer / external application #1 filename
app_1_commandline_format                                                     #external application #1 parameters (see Notes)
app_2_executable                          wahcade-cp-viewer                  #wahcade-history-viewer / wahcade-cp-viewer / external application #2 filename
app_2_commandline_format                                                     #external application #2 parameters (see Notes)
app_3_executable                                                             #wahcade-history-viewer / wahcade-cp-viewer / external application #2 filename
app_3_commandline_format                                                     #external application #3 parameters (see Notes)
auto_launch_apps                                                             #the order apps are launched prior to the emulator, eg 1,2,3 or 3,2,1 or 1,2 or 1 etc.
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Postby Zombie » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:22 am

I got the ownCloud working by sym-linking mcs and sav directories for, Mednafen, and I think I need to define a different directory for syncing. ownCloud went ahead and synced the directory, but I couldn't monitor it because BlackBox doesn't have a System Tray.
Zombie

Postby Zombie » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:41 am

Have you looked into this any further to harmonize configurations between multiple Arcade machines?
Zombie

Postby sairuk » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:39 am

Owncloud support will not be integrated into Wah!Cade, a user solution will need to be found, discussed and documented.

Add blueprint to launchpad if you like but I have zero plans to add cloud storage support while there still exists so many fundamental problems in the software (joystick, media, stability) still to be refined.
mameau - My random bits | Wah!Ki - A Wah!Cade wiki | Mah!Cade - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | ListGen | Lazarus
sairuk

Return to Wah!Cade